Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE temperature

Options
dan
dan Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is a message I just sent to customer support. Any insight would be appreciated.[p]I purchased an XL BGE a few weeks ago, while in Atlanta. I have used it twice, both times to cook steaks. The first time I was not able to get temperature above 600 degrees. I realigned the fire box and added some extra charcoal the second time (yesterday). The temperature reached a max of about 650 degrees, which turns out is plenty hot maybe too hot. The felt seal around the lid began to separate and ultimately looked like it had been toasted. I am not sure it will be an effective seal.[p]Several questions:
Should I use a little less charcoal?
Should I replace the felt seal?
Is 650 degrees excessive?[p]The food is wonderful and the BGE exceeds my expectations. I now have a much more respect for the temperature.[p]Thanks for your help. I look forward to your response.[p]Dan

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Dan,[p]If the gasket is still attached top and bottom, and just a little browned, its probably not a problem. If its melted/crisped and/or detached, then replacement is desirable, although there are a fair number of people who cook without gaskets.[p]From my own experience, and from what other people have posted, it appears that "fresh" gaskets are not as heat proof as broken-in ones. My guess is that the adhesive may not be completely set, and/or that the new gasket is still sort of fluffy, and lets some hot gasses pass through. [p]On a medium, I can replace the gaskets in about 15 minutes. So its not a big deal.[p]gdenby
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks. I have new respect for the heat! 650 degrees is a little scary.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Dan,[p] What part of the felt seal started to melt? Was sit near the hinges all the way to the outside or just along the inside rim? If it's near the back the springs may be to blame. Removing them helps. If it's all around then you probably aren't sealed enough. Loosen the two nuts on the bands (ona at a time and have help) Push the lower band down till it's against the ridge around the egg. Tighten the nut till the bolt bends. Then repeat the top.[p]
    The holes on the XL fire grate are big and will easily clog up. You need to make sure they are free of chunks.[p] On the XL if you look at the inside bottom of the shell you'll see "speed bumps" Line up the fire box with those.[p] Lastly did you have the Daisy Wheel on or off? Nuclear Temps the wheel should be off.

• Unknown
    Options
    Dan,
    What the Wolf said. At nuke temps, you need the daisy wheel off or at least wide open. At 650 or 700 the cooking rules change really fast.

• dan
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    The piece that separated was on top above the handle. I took the steaks off after searing, left the lid closed for about 20 minutes, put the steaks back on and closed the daisywheel and bottom draft. I did not notice the gasket separating when I put the steaks back on to finish cooking.[p]I will do damage control this evening. The Egg was too hot last night to check, and we had company. [p]As an aside, I tried searing the first time for 90 seconds the first time, and 2 minutes the second time. At the temperature I was at yesterday, 90 seconds is plenty.[p]Thanks for your help.

• dan
    Options
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Dan,[p] In that case I'd stop them searing cooks till you have cooked 5-10 times at temps below 500 degs. Give that glue a chance to setup up good.[p] Not sure why this happens but it does.[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dan,
    I checked the gaskets on my Small and Large after reading your post. They are 4 or 5 years old and I never paid any attention to them. I use the Small a few times a week, the Large rarely. The gasket on the Small is at least half eaten away all the way around and very thin and compact--but I have never seen any smoke escaping around the rim! So if it ain't broke, I won't fix it.