Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Estimating Quantity for Pulled Pork

Options
Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a long-time Egger, but have to admit to being somewhat of a tyro compared to some folks on the Forum when it comes to the Massive Cook. I'm usually just cooking for three-six - maybe eight tops.[p]Two weeks from now I've committed to cooking pulled pork for around 35 people. I've done low & slow pork shoulders and butts before, no prob with that, I just need to know how much to cook.[p]Usual butcher's estimate is between 1/4 and 1/2 pound per person, depending. But what about the bone and the long cook that takes most of the fat out?[p]What do you think? 18 pounds of butt or shoulder? More? Less? Two small ones or one large one?[p]Thanks - Bob V

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Bob V,[p]The rule is a 40% loss from raw to cooked. 1/4 to 1/3 pound per person of cooked product. This will depend on the crowd and what sides you will serve.[p]Average crowd.. (No Line Backers or Defensive Ends) 35 people times 4 oz 140 oz = 8.75 pounds cooked = 15 pounds raw. Add in about 20% cooked for second. 18 pounds raw. 3 eight pound bone-in butts will be perfect. Want left overs go 4.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I actually just whipped up an Excel spreadsheet where you plug in the number of men and women attending (men tend to eat more, so I multiply them by two).[p]It gives you your precooked weight and estimated cook time (2 to 2.5 hours per precooked weight)[p]
    [ul][li]Click to download[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,[p]Oh, and that cooking time is for one butt. If you can find a 22lb pork butt, expect it to cook for 50 hours or so.[p]Of course, you could always find a few smaller ones. ;) For the numebr of people you're cooking for, that part might not be the best to follow. haha
  • Super Glide
    Options
    Bob V,[p]I've always just estimated 1/2 pound of uncooked meat per person.[p]The bone doesn't weigh much and won't matter if its in or not.[p]So for 35 people, 18 pounds raw would be fine. Honestly, you'll probably have a good amount of leftovers... but thats a good thing.