Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are there 10 things every Egg owner should pay attention to?

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking out my window, and seeing that T-storms are coming, I went out and put the rain-hats on the the Eggs. This seems like an especially good idea because yesterday I scraped out a bunch of ash residue at the bottom of one fire box that was mortar hard because water had seeped in through the daisy wheel a few weeks ago. As it happened, someone had mentioned just a week or so ago that this could be a problem.[p]I'll propose a few things. This assumes the obvious, like lighter fluid is a no-no.[p]1. Fresh gasket glue tends to run when exposed to high temperatures. Let your Egg cook awhile before going above 500 with a new gasket.[p]2. Cover your Egg if its going to rain for several days. The Egg will absorb moisture and it will be harder to get it up to desired temperature.[p]3. As above, if left-over ash gets wet, it will turn into plaster. [p]4. (Something I don't know myself) If your gasket burns, after "X" number of cooks, it will seal just as well. But careful, don't drop the lid down.[p]5. Beware the well known flash-back[p]6. Eggs bumped over railroad tracks while in a pick-up might break (ouch).[p]7. Don't worry about the crud that builds up in the daisy wheel. It gives a better seal. (At least till you have to smack it with a board. (Not while on the Egg))[p]8. Answering the phone when vents are full open is a recipe for cinders.[p]etc.[p]Things I wonder about. A beer spilled into a searing Egg does what? The interior of all regularily used Eggs should be scraped down every "X" years. If you are going to try frying something in the Egg, be careful for...[p]gdenby

Comments