Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table Solid Surface

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I'm planning for a table build for my large. At first, I was thinking of doing the standard wood slat top with an inset tile or bluestone for a work surface.[p]I'm going to enlist the help of my father. Recently, he's become very active in woodworking and has even built some very nice shelves for my brother. I know he can handle the plan and make all the little touches work.[p]Since I'm going to get his "expert" help, I think I may want to get a little ambitious and do a solid surface. I can probably source some excess Silestone or Corian countertop from one of the local places around here.[p]My question is, who has done this? I know I've seen some of you mention a solid surface on your tables. How does that work out? Is the whole top, including the cutout for the egg the solid surface? When the egg is at searing temp, does the egg radiate temperatures too much for the surface? What kind of surface can that Corian stuff take?

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    127_2771.jpg
    <p />ThinkandDrive, I scored a big piece of corian at the Habitat for Humanity sale barn. I've used it for 6-9 months now, still waiting to take it through a north texas summmer. [p]So far, I'm pleased as it's just like having it in the kitchen. You can visit Dupont's site for all the specs. The light color does get dirty fast, but then I think it will be cooler in the summer. It might fade. [p]One problem with corian is Dupont. They are real protective on glues and such to shape the material. The best thing I found to cut it is an 1/8" cutting tip and a router. And to polish, I'm told use DME, same stuff in pool filters, on a buff sander.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    Options
    tjv,[p]You can use series sandpaper. Belt sander to remove lumps or gouges. Orbital with 120, 150, etc. For a matte finish, use a green scotchbrite pad on a pad sander. You can polish it to a shine if you like, but it will show scratches. The beauty of it is that you can refinish it again and again.