Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Marinated Tri-Tip ?

BKBK Posts: 19
edited 4:36AM in EggHead Forum
I normally use a rub on Tri-Tip then sear it and roast for a few minutes until med rare. Thinking about Marinating in Stubb's Steakhouse Marinade, then slow cooking at 250 until reaching temp of 130.
Any ideas on this??

• 259921101.jpg
    <p />Barry,[p]I cooked one yesterday and came out great. I like to roast mine after I sear it at 350 degrees until it reaches an internal temperature of 130, then let it sit for about 10 minutes. I used Chaka's sauce for the marinade, Cowlick for the rub and pecan wood for the smoke.

• BKBK Posts: 19
    Caveman Smoker,
    I assume you're roasting at 350? I generally sear at pretty high temp then lower to the 350 range. Have you cooked them at low temps in the 250 range?

• 259921098.jpg
    <p />Barry,[p]Yes, I seared them at a higher temperature of around 600, then, put a RAISED grill on with the meat and brought the temperature to 350 with the meat still on. No, I never roasted at 250. Seems if you roast at 250, the meat will come out a little rubberie, but i could be wrong. I think more of a tougher cut of meat would be more suitable at lower temps i.e. brisket.
  • SpokaneManSpokaneMan Posts: 77
    I always cook a rib roast at 225 and pull it when it reaches 125. It's never rubbery.
  • BabyBoomBBQBabyBoomBBQ Posts: 702
    SpokaneMan,[p]That's the way I do them too.