Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Discovery: BGEs release endorphins

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
That must be why it is so enjoyable to use, and why I so look forward to using it again.[p]My experience is probably fairly typical; after using a Weber grill for about 20 years, and thinking about getting an egg for 5 years, I finally took the plunge. Since getting the Large Egg on Saturday June 10, I have roasted 2 turkeys, done a beautiful beef tenderloin roast (600 on each side for 4 minutes, then closed down the egg to cruise for 20 minutes to 132 internal), corn on the cob and a pizza, grilled zucchini and red peppers and some astounding cherry smoked chicken drumsticks. I have never successfully smoked before, and so to get the idea of the taste, I just put some salt on the drumsticks and threw them in to smoke. They came out golden dark brown and so good. Tonight I experiment more with smoking chicken.[p]
After using my Egg for 4 days, I have come to a few conclusions about why it is so nice to use:
1) It is easy to use, and yet it rewards skill and experimentation.
2) It is very versatile.
3) It does what it is supposed to do.
4) It does not radiate a ton of heat, so it is pleasant to be near.
5) It makes me a better cook.[p]I have read quite a bit about building and starting a fire, and have found the Egg to be fairly easy to bring to a desired temperature. My only problem is that about 15 minutes after achieving my desired temperature, the Egg starts to creep up, which requires a slight adjustment to close things down and bring the Egg back down. This creep is in the area of about 25-50 degrees. Am I doing something wrong, or am I just not leaving enough time for the Egg to stabilize after getting to temp?[p]

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Thermal Mass,
    Just learn to expect the 25-50 degree creep up and sneak up on it. Get your temp settled in at 50 degrees less than desired and let it creep up. -RP

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Thermal Mass,
    Most likely just need to give it a little longer...It takes some time for the whole shell of the egg to come to temp..and once it is no longer absorbing heat you would see a slight rise in cooking temps...You are doing fine just the way you`re doing things now..[p]Wess

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    Thermal Mass,[p]Sounds like you are doing it all correctly. Just slow the egg down as it approaches your desired temp rather than when it reaches the desired temp. The egg holds heat so well that when you overshoot it is slow to come back down. If you are shooting for 300 then close the vents down as it is coming thru 275 and let it rise gently to your desired temp.[p]Kinger
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Thermal Mass,
    i think the unspoken thing that really is happening is that you are beginning to slow down and CONSIDER what you are doing. it's like peeking into another world when you first read the forum. OH. people actually THINK about how they cook something and how to handle it?[p]that's the chief reason for you improvement. the grill itself is just the impetus, initially.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    Thermal Mass,
    geeze you're off to a great start! soooooo how many people you feeding? i hope it's an army, otherwise if it is just you... beware or you might soon have a figure as rotund as the egg itself.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Thermal Mass,
    Great job so far.I think each person has their way of keeping things down.You will find what is best for you.I will shut my vents down just a tad when I am within fifteen to 20 degrees of target temp.Just remenber it is easier to get the temp higher but a lot harder to cool it down.

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips. It's good to know that this is not a result of poor fire-building habits. I don't want any bad habits to sneak in during the early learning. I like the idea of setting the temperature to a bit less than 50 degrees below my desired end-point, and leaving it get there on its own.[p]I got the Egg on a saturday and was having a family party on sunday. A bit risky, but it all turned out well. The beef tenderloin literally disappeared from its serving tray. One of my brothers has a weber grill and a WSM, and I believe that the turkeys and the tenderloin made him an instant convert to the BGE.[p]By the way, I did turkey 1 using a drip pan on the plate setter and the bird on a v-rack on the grill, at about 350. Turkey 2 was prepared the same way, but roasted at 300 on the v-rack in a roasting pan that sat on the inverted plate setter. My wife and I agreed that the turkey 2 method was a better roast.[p]Mark