Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long time away and the XL

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven’t posted for a long time, but I am a proud owner of three eggs. I am looking at the Ex Large for cooking many butts, and have several questions. How many 7 to 9 pound butt can you get on the main cooking grid? Using the extension grid for a second layer, how many butts will fit on it? [p]I am thinking of using a 22.5 weber cooking grid, and attach it below the main grid to hold the drip pan. Any ideas on this set up are welcome. Thanks![p]Gary

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Fireball,
    you did not say which eggs you own so i will say you can already fit alot on a large here is 40 lbs of boston butt.
    DSCN0084.jpg[p]DSCN0083.jpg
    but be careful to use a drip pan i didn't and ended up malting mhy gasket with the ensuing grease fire[p]
    HTH
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• The Virginian
    Options
    Fireball,
    One thing you want to be careful about with that amount of pork on the Egg is a lot of fat dripping into the coals. That can create a bad taste. Make sure you have some sort of drop pan set up so you can capture the fat and keep it from going into the coals. No critical for 1 butt, but essential when you are doing bunch. [p]Brett

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Gary - where the heck have you been? So good to see you posting. I have an XL and I think I could probably put 8 8-lb butts on the main level. I could not duplicate that on a second level but I bet I could get 5 more.