Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Butt done?

Options
HurricaneJames
HurricaneJames Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just pulled a 6-lb. boston butt and slopped it with sauce. (Wish I had a picture, but the picture card is full.) The meat tenderness approaches the ridiculous stage (close to the "ludicrous" stage, really... for those who watch Mel Brooks movies).[p]Anyways, the question: Just under the cap o' fat, the meat was mostly pink. Is this a sign of the meat being under-done, or is that from the smoke? The meat thermometer read 200° and I don't believe it was touching the bone. I did a butt last week that didn't look this way... but it wasn't this tender.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    HurricaneJames, not knowing how long you left it on and at what temperature, it's hard to say. It does sound like you have passed the tenderness test and the internal temperature test and, yes, my meat will turn sort of a dark red when I use smoke at a low temperature. I guess the final test is to just try it.

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    HurricaneJames,
    What you see is the wonderful smoke ring. It is definitely cooked. Good Job.
    Painter

• HurricaneJames
    Options
    Wise One,[p]The 6-pounder was sitting for 13 hours with a dome temp of (usually) 200°. The temp dipped a bit during the wee hours. The last hour, the dome was up to 250°. I'm a-thinkin' my Egg thermometer needs to be recalibrated.[p]I'm just gonna go munch n' find out...[p]Thanks!

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    HurricaneJames,
    I would definately check your dome therm. thats awful fast cook for running @ 200° , but many having been getting those turbo butts lately..[p]Have you Hugged your Egg today
    Wess

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    HurricaneJames, check both your dome thermometer and your internal meat thermometer. With that amount of time your meat is going to be done (the question is whether it was actually 200 as your thermometer said or 185 or so). The real test comes in how well it pulls. If it's easy to pull then your dome temp might be off. If it's a little tough, your internal thermometer might be off. However, in either case, you will have good eating.

• HurricaneJames
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I didn't even have to pull it. I just screamed at it and it fell apart. (hee hee) Yes, it was that easy.