Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt Steak

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cleaning out the freezer I came upon a 1 pound chunk of skirt steak. Anybody got any bright ideas of how to deal with it? TIA, BS

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]
    Fajitas would be nice! :^)[p]Zip

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p] Try this: Mix 1/3c dry sherry with 1/3c soy sauce, 2tsp honey, 1tbs veg. oil. Add about six scallions, chopped and about 3 garlic cloves, chopped. Add about 1tbs ground ginger. Marinate steak in mixture for a few hours or overnight. Cook it at nuclear temperatures (>700F) until done 'til you like it (probably about 3-4 minutes a side . . .). Slice thinly on the bias and eat it up. I usually stir fry some shiitakes to go along with the steak . . .[p]Fajitas are good too![p]MikeO
  • Unknown
    Options
    BlueSmoke, sharpen the molars as you're in for a chewing session.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Here's what I ended up doing: first I pounded the bejabers out of the meat with a pointy, handheld, meat tenderizer. Then I marinated it overnight. This afternoon, I patted it dry and cut it (with the grain) into 4 inch chunks. I cut each chunk, cross-grain, into quarter-inch strips and tossed the strips with five-spices and a little extra granulated garlic and ginger. Finally I bagged the whole mess with a drizzle of olive oil and of sesame oil. After about half an hour I stir-fried it. Excellent - moist and tender. All told, quite a bit of work, but well worth it.