Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Reply for Newsense

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry; I was out of the office yesterday and didn't read your question about the dijon salmon. The answers you received were good. When doing an indirect cook, lower temp and longer time is the way to go. However, on Father's Day I was setting up the indirect and got the call that my dad had dinner time incorrect and the guests were already at his house. Yikes! No time for a leisurely cook, so I took off the firebricks and cranked the heat up to about 375-400 and set the salmon on the grate, skin down, for about 10 to 12 minutes (I think it was 2 lbs) and it was wonderful. I don't flip the fillet. The skin does protect the meat from overcooking and in this case, I used a big spatula and lifted the fillet right off the skin to the platter. I cleaned the skin off the grill later.[p]Again, sorry I couldn't answer you in a more timely manner.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Options
    Gretl, thanks for the reply. The salmon tasted delicious. I tried the low and slow, but I had a hard time stablizing the temp. I tried about an hour at 325, but the temp kept climbing to 375 or so. I used indirect heat, putting the fish (about 1.5 pounds) skin-side-down on the grill, which was on top of a drip pan straddling a V-rack and sitting on top of the heat plate.[p]I'm well aware of the peel-the-salmon-off-the-skin trick, but it was still a little dry, especially on the edges. The taste was great, and next time I'll try to concentrate on the temperature. I find it hard to stabilize with the heat plate, but I'm working on it.[p]What I really want to do is use the egg for hearth-baked breads, so mastering stabile temperatures is crucial.[p]Thanks again

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    newsense,
    Not familiar with your exact technique..but you may want to start closing down the evnts a little earlier..at least 50° prior to your planned cooking temp..always start of with a small fire unless your are going to cook hi temp...and check the calibration of your dome thermometer...just a bit of advice..[p]Wess