Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to BBQ

Reb
Reb Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a 2 year hiatus from BBQ, I've sold my dust-collecting-high-maintenance offset and bought the Large BGE. Have cooked burgers, wings and ribs and all have turned out great. I am amazed at how much easier and better the egg is to work with. Even singed a few arm hairs. This weekend will be my first butt. I've read a ton here but still have a question.[p]Wood chips or chunks and where to place them to get an effective smoke. [p]Also, Anyone have a recipe for halibut? (AlaskanC?, I still have some from a fishing trip out of Seward)[p]Thanks for the help!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Reb,
    i use chips and mix them throughout the lump so that wherever the fire travels, there'll be smoke. it won't burn all the chips (or lump), so i use more rather than less.[p]i don't bother soaking, as they don't burn with open flame, but rather just smolder.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Reb,
    Here's one I use that's easy and excellent :[p]Sour Cream Halibut [p]1 cup white wine or sauterne 1 cup mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup sour cream
    1 pound halibut fillets 1/4 cup chopped onion
    Fine bread crumbs Paprika[p]Mix wine and salt and marinate halibut for at least 1 hour.
    Drain fish on paper towel, dip both sides in bread crumbs, place in greased baking dish.
    Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, and onions, spread over fish and sprinkle top with remaining bread crumbs, and paprika.
    Bake at 500 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    When it comes to wood - - chunks or chips - - there is no right or wrong answer as it's personal choice. I prefer chunks and I also mix them throughout the lump. I like the oak chunks but again it's all a matter of personal preference. Good luck and WELCOME![p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Reb,
    Glad to hear the Egg is working out so well for you already! Some of us take a little longer to figure out what we're doing...[p]I get chunks and chips -- just whatever is for sale. I agree with spreading the chips all around the fire, so that you don't get all your smoke in one quick blast. The chunks, though, I tend to stick dead in the middle of the lump (on top). When I haven't done it this way, I sometimes don't get as much smoke from the chunk as I'd like.[p]As others have said, welcome!

• Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    Thanks for all you help here!!

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Reb,[p]You know - halibut is just one of those things that I don't care for on the egg. I like mine cooked the way that egret suggested, but I just do it in the oven.[p]Make some fish 'n chips!
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Reb,[p]I don't know squat about halibut, but I once made a nice little recipe from this forum that involved a wok ring, a wok, some bamboo steamers, some fresh spinach a little ginger and some white fish (sea bass I thnk). If steamed on a bed of spinach sounds good, I think it was a Mad Max recipe, but I can't remember. Getting old you know, lost a lot of brain cell to all that beer.[p]Ed