Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket -- hrs per lb?/general advice

Options
digger65
digger65 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have pretty much mastered (until I disbelieve the polder & then we wind up with very good as opposed to outstanding) the major cuts of beef/pork on the BGE and are now going to try a beef brisket. I probably purchased the wrong thing -- a small flat (having come home to read past posts about the whole brisket being the best) and am curious as to the general cooking time. Is it like a pork butt (i.e. 1.5-2 hrs/lb) or longer? We plan on cooking around 225 and I'm thinking this would need to come off and into a cooler around 190-195. This is a test and will likely get cooked tomorrow before friends arrive for the husband's pork loin with a cornbread/apple/pecan stuffing. Any advice is always appreciated and, at this point, we are anticipating our results to be okay but not great. [p]Beth

Comments

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    digger65,225 is a good cooking temp but I recommend taking the brisket off when meat temp. reaches 165, then double wrap in foil and return to egg and continue cooking until meat temp reaches 195-200. ( add a little apple juice when wrapping in foil). Lastly take the finished pkg, wrap in newspaper or old towels, let cool for 2-3 hours and then place in fridge. Meat is much easier to slice when cool.Also meat will soak up the juices while cooling and be much moister when sliced. I gook indirect and fat side down.