Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mulberry ribs

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The ribs were a huge success. Again, this was Cat's recipe minus juniper berries, plus lemongrass, minus direct, plus indirect. They were smoked with Mulberry wood, courtesy of my pal RhumAndJerk. They cooked indirect over an inverted platesetter and dry drip pan. Started at 250 dome with a bath of mulberry smoke, and worked up to somewheres about 300 dome. After 3 hours I applied the sauce (onions, ketchup, oyster sauce, and stuff) and kept the cook indirect. @ coats of sauce over the next 90 minutes, and pulled off after 4.5 hours. [p]These were the most tender ribs I have done without foil. The meat did not have a chance sticking to the bone, and nearly fell from it. My 6 year old twins ate a record number of ribs. The mulberry wood provided a very nice subtle sweet smoke flavor, and like many of you have been telling me, it was perfect with pork.[p]Life is shweeet indeed.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm not familiar with the Plate Setter and I can't find it in the products. I'm told it's the indirect system, why invert it?
    TIA my green bro

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    drbbq,
    The platestter is not necessary, but makes a great simple indirect setup. With the legs pointing up, the grate sits rot on top of it, and gives you some nice airspace for your meat. Similar results can be had with a weber grate on the bottom, a drip pan, and another grate elevated above the drip pan. Many ways to get an indirect environment for your grub.[p]The platestter can be found at the link below. [p]If this is the first time you have cooked with ceramic, I gots a feeling you will kind of like it. Hopefully during our lifetime, we can meet up, pound some beverages, and you can show me how them metal thangs work. Feel free to email me anytime.[p]Latah!

[ul][li]Plate Setter link[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Wow. We've got lots of Mulberry trees out there, that people frequently chop down because their roots get a little haywire----I'll make a note!! Thanks and congrats on your good cook! [p]Big Murth Way out West!!
    p.s. Wish me luck on my hybrid Pork Loin Roast(stuffed) tomorrow. Hasta!!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Big Murth,
    You don't need any luck. Your pork will be righteous.
    Yeah, season some of that mulberry. At least worth a try.
    Latah!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I need to pop up your way someday soon and maybe I can trade you for some mulberry. Those sound great. I need to try some oak, I have truck loads of it around here.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    Swing on by!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I think that ceramic one looks like what I'm looking for.
    Yes this will be my first ceramic cook,(I'm pretty sure you knew that) It really is a business thing but I do like to cook BBQ and I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm planning to roll 4 slabs and cook them indirect, one hour on each end then into a half pan, covered, with a little juice for another hour. This is a novice class and I feel I need to get them extra mushy, I mean tender, to please them. These will probably be boilers I'm trying to convert. Thanks for the help.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ