Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg vrs. medium

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About this time last year, I purchased a large egg which I LOVE. Now I am considering a small. I have some questions that maybe someone out there can help with. How is indirect cooking done with the small--no place sitter is made for it(is one available for the Medium?). Do I really need the small ash tool? Should I be considering the medium instead?(At least an eggmate is available for that). Does the small pizza platter work in the small? I have some fire bricks but prefer the plate sitter for conveinence. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    Tim H. ,[p]I received the small egg for my birthday so I can't complain BUT the small has some limitations I have been finding out. [p]You are very limited on eggcessories. The v-rack is made by some other company and is pretty limited (can't invert it and use it for ribs). BGE doesn't make a pizza stone for the small. Also, thought I've yet to try, the small is supposed to be pretty tough to use for the long 'low and slow' cooks. I also have trouble getting the temp very high on mine (500-600 is usually what I get) but I don't have the metal trivet at the bottom.[p]I'd definitely prefer to have a medium over a small. But I'm able to turn out some AWESOME stuff from my small. [p]Dan.[p]
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Tim H. ,[p]I have done quite few pork butts indirect on the small. I place a pie pan (rapped in tinfoil for easy clean up) directly on the main grate. Then I place a smaller grate on top of the pie pan, its very simple and it works. If you would like more space between your drip pan and the top grate, small bricks used as spacers would work fine. A few other posters have rigged double grates, hopefully they can chime in and post a picture for you.[p]Dec

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Dec,
    A second fire ring works great as a spacer for a second grate.
    JimW

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    JimW,[p]That's using your noggin. Maybe I should stop being El cheapo and get fancy. I still don't even have a daisy wheel top. I use a small piece of flat wood to control the temps.[p]Dec

• Cheryl
    Cheryl Posts: 18
    Options
    Tim H. ,
    I've had my small BGE for about 2 months now...and am "green" with envy of all of you with a large! [p]Can't say as I've felt toooo limited though. I purchased a 12" pizza stone @ KMart for around $12... I use this on top of fire bricks or right on the grill for indirect cooking. On top of that, I use a 10" cake pan with a 13" grid over that (a round 13" cookie/cake cooling rack in fact). This provides a good 2" air space under/around whatever I'm cooking. [p]I haven't noticed any problem with either high temp or low/slow cooking (except when I don't put enough lump in to start with!)[p]I HAVE replaced the bottom grate with a cast iron floor drain from True Value Hardware...not very much $$ and I do think it has improved the airflow.[p]Haven't bought an ash tool yet, but it is definitely in my near future! LOL[p]Happy multi-egging.....

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Tim H.
    A second ash tool is unnecessary. The big one will work fine.