Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Store-bought Pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is to ask if anyone has tried various store-bought frozen pizzas and identified a particularly good one? I cooked a Red Barron brand on the egg yesterday that was pretty dang good. (I added a layer of browned ground sausage to the toppings to improve it.) I tried one from Sam's Club one time and it was so greasy I never bought another one from them. Anyone know of a "good'un"?

Comments

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I have cooked a bunch of Digiorno's rising crust pizza's that always come out awesome. Cook them just like the box says to do it in the oven. For me though I like to use the Momma Mary's premade pizza crust. I then use Dei Fratelli pizza suce on top of that. Then any kind of meats, veggies and cheese. In the egg at 450 with platesetter and pizza stone for 13 to 20 min. When the cheese is nice and browned its ready to go. There very easy to make and ALWAYS come out great. Here is a link to a video I made for cooking a taco pizza.

[ul][li]http://www.greenegggrilling.com/assets/taco%20piza%20final1.wmv[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    We really like the Digiornos Supreme. Tastes 100% better than in a regular oven and frequently better than some pizza joints.[p]We cook it using a plate setter/pizza stone combination @ about 400 to 425°. Sometimes we add a few red pepper flakes but that's about it.[p]Spring "A Spicy Meat Head" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I would agree that those taste better than most of the pizza joints. Pizza in the egg rocks.

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Eggfoot and Spring Chicken. Good to have both of you naming the same pizza, Digiornos. Gotta be a good one; hopefully one or more of the local grocery stores here in Austin will have them.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]HEB in Bee Cave has great pizza kits. They come with the dough and sauce and are in the deli section. Give them a try. They work out fantastic and are a fraction of a Dijorno.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Unknown
    Options
    GrillMeister, the HEB kits are what I've primarily been using ever since I got the egg. I'm thinking a fully-made pizza in my freezer will be nice to have when I'm lazy/tired or in a hurry. And --- I wonder if the cost of a kit plus cheeses and the other toppings will be much less than a fully made Digiornos? Seems like I spend quite a bit on the cheese and other toppings, especially when I buy something like the graded Mexican three cheeses.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,here in Florida we buy the dough from Public's and make our pizza from scratch. It cooks at 530 for about 10 minutes on the BGE stone on top of the plate setter with the feet down. When we first tried pizza with our old pizza stone the BGE destroyed it but with the BGE stone -- no problem.
  • tripmac
    tripmac Posts: 17
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I usually buy California Pizza Kitchen pizzas. They seem to do very good on the egg. I like the Garlic chicken and the Sicilian ones.[p]Trip