Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Done to Early - Help Please!!

Options
Jackbythesea
Jackbythesea Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Mothers Day!
I am trying Nature Boy's Eggfest 2000 Brisket recipe from the forum and after a 8 hour marinate yesterday, put the 7lb. flat on last night at 11:00PM. Well the alarm went off on the Guru at 7:00AM so I pulled it (188*) and wrapped it and placed in my cooler with foil and towels.[p]My question is Mom's coming at 4:30 today. Can I leave it in the cooler in the kitchen and put the foiled Brisket in the oven @ 170* to reheat without a problem??[p]Everyones help is always appreciated!
Jack

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    jackbythesea, I think you pulled it a bit early. I like to take brisket flats to 195-200 internal with couple hours in the cooler. You can use the guru in ramp mode to maintain the 195-200 pit temp. [p]If I were in your shoes, I make a bloody mary, put it back on and let the ramp mode bring it to 195 internal. Using the ramp mode should stretch out the time and get you closer to your time schedule. You can put it back on in foil, which should keep it moist but will also speed up the process. Your call on the keeping it foiled. If it's a select cut, we're gambling on tender and juicy till 4:30. [p]I find brisket flats and butts take around 11-13 hours on the rig at 235ish pit (guru) temp.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Virginian
    The Virginian Posts: 275
    Options
    jackbythesea,
    Yep, I agree with tjv. 9 hours is too long to hold the brisket in the cooler, and it could use more time in the cooker. If the internal temp is down around 170 by now, it should take several more hours, wrapped in foil, at a low temp (say, 210-220) to finish. The ramp mode is also a good idea, but I don't have a guru with ramp mode so I can't really speak to that. [p]If you take it off at noon or a little after, double wrap in foil, and put in a cooler with an old blanket on top, you should be good to go for dinner around 5. [p]Brett

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    jackbythesea,[p]I'm not familiar with that recipe, especially the marinade. Could you post it? Maybe the marinade is the key here.[p]For years 188° was a magic number for brisket and was used by a lot of folks, but usually followed by a long rest. I agree with the others, if you doubt the tenderness, (how did you determine it was done?) the foiled brisket can go back on the pit or into the oven for a few hours. Did you add any liquid to the foil? The oven might be easier at this point because it will be easier to control. The theory is if you keep your oven at 190° the brisket won't go higher. Just like using ramp mode with the Guru. Don't rush it. After a couple of hours at 190° to get it back up to temp, check tenderness and verify the internal and see if you need to bump the temp or not. Be sure and allow yourself several hours of cooler time.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    jackbythesea,[p] Fourth opinion.. 188 was too soon. 195-205 is a better target. What you want is a piece of meat that does not resist having an instant read thermometer being pulled out.[p] The most I have ever let a piece of meat rest in a cooler was 6 hours and the was in the rising California Summer heat.[p] Set the oven for 165 and put the foiled brisket in the oven.