Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I learned today...

Options
Mikey
Mikey Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have had an unbelieveable amount of rain lately. I am going to attempt my second Boston Butt this weekend and wanted to see if the unused lump was damp. I opened it up and I could tell by the smell that at least some moisture had made it in.[p]Well, I stirred the lump, added just a few new pices, lit a weber starter cube and shut the lid. I took the cap off and left the bottom vent about 1/2 open. It got to about 200 or so and stalled. I opened the bottom vent all the way and went inside, came out 5 min later, and it was about 180.[p]Looks like it was more damp than I thought. Well, this is a good time to go make that cheap ash tool I've been meaning to make. I grab a coat hanger, cut it and bend up one end, make a handle out of the other. [p]Then I start poking up thru the bottom grate to knock the ash loose and clear the air holes. About 30 seconds later, its at 225. As I stand there, I can see the temp climb. At about 300, I capped it and closed the damper down. I let it set there for about 5 min or so to stabilize and then slowly opened her back up. I let it sit at about 700 degrees to burn off all the gunk inside.[p]The whole point of this is that little coat hanger made a world of difference. Even though I had stirred the old lump and tried to make sure all the air holes were clear, it obviously wasn't good enough. A few pokes with this thing and it took off like a rocket.[p]I know at least once during the cook this weekend, I am going to have to shake the coals a bit to clear the air holes. Last time I did it from the top, this time I won't even have to open the lid.[p]I don't remember if it was C~W who originally posted the idea for this, but he was the last one I remember reading it from. This is certainly the cheapest item in my BBQ arsenal, and it looks like it will be one of the most used as well.[p]Later,
Mikey

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mikey, Yep..you got a C~W original..Stick a corn cob on the bare end for a handle and you have a conversation piece. And what the heck .. the price is right!!
    Mine is made from 1/4 inch aluminum rod bent on the end 90 degrees to the L shape. I might stick a custom walnut grip on it and post a photo..For grins and giggle..
    Thanks for the mention.
    C~W
    BTW..if you use a rod, cut it about 32 inches long, bent the one end, and leave the handle off. It is great to reach down thru the grill and move charcoal around when needed or to stir the old charcoal.. Now you have a second use for it. Best of all my accessories.

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    You're right on (as usual) with the stirring rod.Here's a good place to pick up a good 1/4 in. alum. rod, stop by your friendly Vet. they use alum rods to make splints for broke critters.I'm sure they would give you one,(at least mine will):-) Bob

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Bamabob, I bought a tube of about 50 of them at a auction one time for 2 bucks..! I have found more uses for them than cats have meows..(Sorry Cathy):-)
    C~W