Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Pizza - What egg accessories will I need?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question for all you out there who bake pizzas on their eggs. I have a large egg and a plate sitter but no pizza stone. Can I turn the plate sitter with the legs down and use that with a pizza screen to make pizzas on my egg?[p]I work for a local Italian Food Distributor and can purchase all of the ingrediants, pizza screens and peals at wholesale. I've never tried this before and after all of the postings on this site am anxious to give it a try.[p]I'm looking at total costs of $1-$3 per pie by buying the products from my employer compared to supermarket costs and being the tightwad that I am...............

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    pizas2.jpg
    <p />Making Pizza,[p]Hey with all the money you are saving buy a BGE pizza stone. Kidding aside you could probably do a pizza or two that way but I think the plate setter will ultimately get too hot and burn you crust. I usually use the setter legs up, cooking grid on the legs and pizza stone on the grid. Other times it is the stone right on the setter. Both work well. Give it a shot...you don't have much to lose.[p]Chuck

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Making Pizza,
    Yes you can cook a pizza on the plate setter, with or without the screen. The addition of the pizza stone gives you more mass and therefore more stability in the temperature, but you should be able to work it out. I use a stone and a plate setter and put the pie directly on the stone and have always had good luck. Here's a webpage with pizza hints and tips that might help. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Making Pizza,
    FWIW ...
    I would use both platesetter and stone.
    Might also want spacer (brass, ceramic feet?) between platesetter and stone.
    A lot depends on the dough you use. Usually the wetter the dough, the higher the temp.
    Some folks here do pizzas at about 450. I work pizza at the 700+ mark with spacers. Never burnt a bottom since doing it this way. But my favorite dough is very sticky.[p]LAter,
    PEter

• Making Pizza,[p]The main reason for using both plate setter and the stone is that it will lift the height of the pizza to even with the bottom of the egg. This will allow you to use a pizza peel with no problems. You'll also need some sort of method of getting the pizza off the peel into the egg depending on how sticky your dough is. Corn meal works well, but I often need something like a cookie sheet with no edge to get it to start sliding out onto the stone. It's a lot of fun! Especially the super cracker thin Italian crusts. Good luck!