Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How will the egg cook on a full charge of charcoal

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just purchased a new large size BGE. I have seen receipes calling for cook times upwards of 8-12 hours. Will the egg cook this long without adding additional charcoa?

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Jim Patterson,
    Depending on the temp. you are cooking 15+ hours is quite possible. Low and slow cooks at 250 dome and I usually have plenty left after 12 hours. Go for it and trust your egg, it will take GOOD care of you.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Jim Patterson,
    no
    it'll actually go 30-40 hours on a full load.[p]you don't need to load it that much, unless you are actually cooking that long.[p]most overnights only really need a fill to the bottom of the fir ring (top of the firebox)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Jim Patterson,[p]At low and slow temps, the Egg is truly remarkable in how little charcoal is needed. I've had 12 hours use at 250 with just enough charcoal to reach the top of the fire box. And then there was still another whole dinner cooked on the leftover lump. The only thing I've ever noticed as a problem is that sometimes the fire will burn straight down the center if lit in just one place at the top. A little stir with a stick after 6 - 8 hours cures that.[p]gdenby

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    A loaded large egg will easily give you 20+ hours of heat..But before you go any further..Don't pass GO..Don't collect $200..Go directly to www.nakedwhiz.com or WessB's site and do some serious readin' and learnin'..and then you'll have an idear 'bout what you're doing..before you know what you're doing doing..I know I did!![p]But seriously...it's not uncommon to get at least 20 hours starting with a clean, well-stacked fire box...sort out your lump...put your biggest chunks in the bottom and stack from there...[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Jim Patterson,
    That's the beauty of it. At low and slow temps and a full firebox it can it can go for twenty hours or more. I've done all night briskets and pork for over twenty hours and then crank it up for the sides without missing a beat. You're gonna' love it once you get some practice on temp control.

• Hustling Hare
    Hustling Hare Posts: 105
    Jim Patterson,[p]The advice given to me here in the forum when I started is to throw the instruction book and video away and get your answers here and from the web sites referenced often on this forum. [p]wrt full load, yes, just keep it pretty full. After each cook, put the rain cap back on and shut the lower damper and the fire will go out leaving charcoal for the next cook. Next cook, stir the coals a little to sift the ashes down, add some new and light it up. After a few cooks, if you are having trouble reaching a hight temp, reinitialize to remove the really small pieces so they won't clog the air flow. With this technique the egg is really quite frugal on charcoal usage.[p]When will you be inviting all of us over for some good eats?
  • PigsEye
    PigsEye Posts: 21
    Jim Patterson,
    Went about 30 hours this weekend at 250. Didn't sort the charcoal or anything. Dumped, lit and cooked.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Jim Patterson,[p]SMARTA** ANSWER: The same way it will cook on half a load of lump only twice as long... :)[p]Jim if you know anything about competition BBQ you wouldn't need to have asked that question.. :) The eggs show up at the comps and the stick burner teams moan and groan about us sleeping while they attend to their cookers all night long hehehehe[p][p]
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 28
    I often go 18-22 hours at 250. Have only had a problem one time.

Start cooking and have fun!