Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fiddleheads II

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fiddleheads-1.jpg
<p />Sorry don't seemt o grasp how to post two pics at once.[p]Anyway here are some ready to cook or freeze

Comments

• Duckegg, would you tell me what a "fiddlehead" is please sir?

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p] Fern Sprouts... They are quite delicious when they are still tightly wound. Quite poisonous when they aren't..[p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    so what do they taste like - and don't say Bald Eagle or Spotted Owl either!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    RRP,[p] Chicken![p]It's been years since I ate them (Boy Scouts), but I seem to remember a woodsy lettuce type taste.
  • duckegg
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    They are pretty much a New England thing, I don't think you could find them anywhere in Texas. They are the sprouts of large native ferns, they come up in the last couple of weeks in April and you have to be quick to get them as there is only a day or two when they are the right size to eat. The ferns grow to 5 or 6 feet high, very lush and a haven for Mosquitos to hide in. [p]They taste a little like Asparagus but are a little crunchier and not stringy.
    We had some pan fried tonight with a little evoo, butter and salt and pepper. Very tender and tasty.

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Duckegg,
    You're killing ME!!! Your last post got my tatse buds in gear and I was on the phone to my family and friends to send me some fiddleheads (to South Carolina). Well, they all thought I was nuts......they have not been deprived of them for 7 years! Ungrateful bas#$@*s....they forget that shrimp season is here!!!! Oh...they don't mind the 5# bags I send of FRESH LOCAL SHRIMP! Anyways......do you like shrimp? Maybe we can work out a deal........... Paul

• duckegg
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    I feel your pain. I love shrimp, unfortunately they tend to kill my wife. She won't let them in the house or on the grill. Bummer. I wouldn't know how to ship you the little dudes anyway.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    you can preorder them online, a little pricey, but something thats only available for a couple of weeks it may be worth it.

[ul][li]10 bucks a pound[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Duckegg,[p]I wasn't stalking you or anything....just looking to see what part on N.E. you are from.....noticed on your profile that you are looking at a retirement location. We moved to Charleston,SC about 5 years ago......and would not think of going anywhere else. I'm far from retiring, but the life is good here. You still get a change of seasons, but not NEARLY as harsh as we had in Boston! Shoot me an email if you want more info. Paul

• duckegg
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    Thanks for the offer paul. We did consider Charlston and it seemed very nice but we are going to hang in here for a while. too much crap to get rid of and I'd miss the fiddleheads :-) Maybe in a year or so.[p]Don