Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just bought one!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned an offset forebox smoker for almost 20 years. I just purchased my BGE (extra large) from Barbeques Galore in Houston, Texas. I bought mine from Ron who knew everything about every barbeque pit made. He recommended the BGE. I cooked ribs, beercan chicken, a brisket and two links of sausage on its first use. After cooking on my BGE, my offset firebox smoker is free to whomever comes and picks it up. My BGE wasn't cheap--$1,300 including delivery, setup (well worth it), tax and accessories--but worth every penny. If you don't have one, quit wringing your damn hands and cough up the money and get one. Don't waste your time and money on trying to buy something that might work in a pinch; do yourself a favor and stop wasting time and get yourself a BGE. I feel like a fool for waiting so long, myself.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    David Walton,
    Hallaula, Brother Dave! I take it you like your Egg. If so, are you coming to the Texas Eggfest this weekend in Austin? We would love to see you there.[p]Spring "A Big Green Egg Believer" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    David Walton,
    welcome to the cult, David. what a great adventure you are on. if you can go to the fest this weekend don't miss it!

• eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    David Walton,
    I bought one a couple of weeks ago, also an xl, you are going to love it. I have been spending my time reading all I can on this forum, the members are a BIG help with lots of great info and they have saved me many hours of experimentation on my own. Thanks to all the forum EGGsperts.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    David Walton,
    cograts!!! when i got mine i did not have access to a computor and could only goto the forum at work which i was only at once a week. so keep reading the learning curve is small but there is one. since you have been smoking for 20 years it will be very small for you.
    happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]here is a link that will help ALOT!!!!!!!!![/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    David Walton,
    hmmmmm? you only bought one?[p]just try to keep up with "the jonses" on this forum. lots have two and many have 3 or more. [p]good luck and keep on eggin.

• BBQ Savant
    Options
    David Walton,
    Had my large about 10 days. I wish I had bought one sooner.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    David Walton,
    Welcome!!! If I can be of any help let me know. I have a Large "Oscar" and a small "Oliver"... so your homework assignment is to pick out a name for your XL :=)
    I had a W*B*R Gas Grill before buying the Large egg... I never knew what I was missing. Don't beat yourself up to bad! Just make up for the lost time :=)[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• Oh, man, I have to pick out a name? I'm terrible about
    picking out names![p]Oh, the pressure!

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Sneezix,[p]
    Yep and just so you no AssMonkey is already taken..so don't even think about it...[p]StumpBaby

• galoot
    galoot Posts: 69
    Options
    markkal123,
    This has got me curious; I just got an XL, and what with lurking and all, noticed that having more than 1 is not unusual. When I said to my wife, "Our 1st egg!" she said , yes....WAIT A MINUTE! What do you mean by the first! So what is the average "egg count"?? What would be a good size to complement an XL?

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p]I've have a large, small, and mini. Love the small as an addition.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Smoke2much,[p]I have a large which I use for family cooks and a mini which is my steak machine and personal grill. If I could get away with it without damaging my marriage I would get a small which would do me for 3/4 of my family cooks. Would also like a medium, but that simply would not fly.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Smoke2much,
    A few reasons to get a second, third, etc. Egg:[p]Not enough room to cook everything that needs cooked.
    Too much room; seems a waste to fire up the XL for one strip steak.
    Cooking multiple dishes at different temperatures.
    Wife needs her own Egg.
    Kids need their own Eggs.
    Need an Egg better suited to taking along on a picnic.
    One Egg just looks lonely sitting there all by itself.[p]Think about it for a while and you should be able to answer your own question.

• Jupiter Jim,[p]> My next one will be a small of a large for the NC mountain house.[p]If you can afford a NC mountain house, you can afford another Egg![p]:-)