Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rice Cooking Method/Spanish Rice

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past, I used a Black & Decker handy steamer for my rice cooking duties. However, since I came across this method in one of Rick Bayless' cookbooks, I have been using it exclusively. I think I saw Alton use this method on Good Eats, as well.[p]First, you need an ovenproof saucepan/pot (i.e. one with oven-safe handles on pot and lid). Use a ratio of 1½ cups rice to 2 cups liquid. I have tripled the recipe in a stockpot and it came out perfect. This method works with both white and brown rice.[p]1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees or BGE to 400 degrees, indirect method
2) Saute rice in pan/pot with a couple tablespoons of olive oil
for 2-3 minutes
3) Add liquid and bring to a boil
4) Remove pan from burner, cover and place in oven or Egg
for 20 minutes (23-25 mins for brown rice)[p]That's it! When using the Egg, I uncover the rice for the last 5-7 minutes to pick up a little smoke flavor. Here's Rick's Spanish rice recipe:[p]1) 1½ cups rice
2) 1 cup chicken broth
3) 1 cup of your favorite red salsa
4) 1 cup frozen green peas[p]Use cooking method above. Stir the frozen peas into the rice halfway through the oven/Egg cooking time. Enjoy!![p]All the best,
Jim

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    JSlot,
    Do you bring to a boil uncovered or cover it? About how long does it take to boil on the Egg? I'm thinking about trying this for the Adobo Chicken.

• JSlot
    Options
    Bring to a boil uncovered, then remove from heat, cover and place in oven or Egg. The higher temp in the Egg keeps the cook time about the same. You can always adjust the time to give you the texture you prefer. These times produce a moist, light texture that separates and fluffs beautifully with a fork.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Options
    After re-reading your post, I realized I didn't answer part of your question. I have never tried to boil the rice on the Egg. I do that on a fish cooker burner when we are "on location" or on the stove at home, then move the pot to the Egg.[p]Jim