Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Wings & Drums Get the Racks

Options
Pork Butt
Pork Butt Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MyPictures063.jpg
<p />These racks are the best way to BBQ Wings & Drums. Thanks to thirdeye's post on the racks. I went to Lowes and they were only 4.97 each. I sprayed them with cooking spray and threw them in dish washer, easy clean up. No more standing there to flip them every 10 min. As you can see I used direct heat @ 275 degrees on top of the rack. I love my BBQ hot wings, nothing better.

MyPictures071.jpg[p]
MyPictures072.jpg[p]

Comments

• AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    Options
    Pork Butt,
    Great looking cook, I see I will have to buy a couple of the racks, John

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Pork Butt....[p]Thanks for posting those pictures, I haven't done a rack of wings yet, yours look really good. Do you think there is enough clearance (between racks) to do both racks full of wings? I can't wait to try Dizzy Pig Crunchy Wings with the rack.[p]What I realized when cooking the drumsticks in the vertical position was that as the meat naturally shrunk, the skin did not shrink as much. There was a little space between the skin and the meat, allowing it not only to crisp up but crisp up very evenly. I'm hoping the same thing happens to wings. Normally I prep my wings like this so using the rack will be easier since I can leave the tips on.[p]2d0efe56.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I've got some older racks that are narrow enough that two filled racks fit side by side on the large. That translates to 28 wings, I did these at the Denver fest last year. I do them indirect 350-400 and take them to 190 internal. They almost seem like they have been fried, but still very moist. -RP

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Pork Butt,[p]Your wings look great, the skin even looks crispy in the picture before you put the sauce.
    I stopped using my wing rack because I found the skin on the wings were comming out rubbery. I get better results direct and flipping.[p]Was the skin crisp or does it just look that way in your picture? If so how did you do it?[p]Thanks!

• thirdeye,
    i went and got the same rack and the #48 car store, but it's a little different than the ones you have. this one is nickel-plated, not stainless steel. the legs fold, i don't think yours do.[p]the good news is it fits in the medium, but only on the grid in the regular position, not on the plate setter legs up grid location (hits the dome).[p]*not enough toys*

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]For a gadget man like myself, I had never seen one until recently. Now, several different models are popping up. Mine are non-folding, stainless and the legs go from end to end. The folding ones may be a real space saver, but my three do nest. The funny thing is, I've enjoyed making my own Eggessories (wiggle rods, grid lifters, sandbagger rings, etc) but these things are so complex in design yet so cheap, they are hard to pass up.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    no doubt... i'd have bought two if they'd fit on the medium.

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Pork Butt,
    275 for how long please. I have not been able to find a accurate way to measure temp in wings and legs. Or do you just cook till they look/feel done?
    Thanks

• Pork Butt
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I did use direct cook, my own rub, they only got crispy because I crank up the temp. to 400 to 450 at the last 10 min. but watch very close. On the drums it was easy to sauce, just took off rack and dunk in sauce and put back on rack with tongs. But with the wings it was to hard to do that so after I took them off the rack I duck them and put right on grid.

For the size wings I was using there was enough room for both racks. The racks I have hold 12 wings each. Hope I was able to help a little.[p]Pork Butt Mike

• Pork Butt
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    I did them till they look done, was not paying attention on the time. Sorry. Direct cook 275 then last 10 min. 400 to 450. They were crispy.

• Pork Butt
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Direct cook 275 then last 10 min. 400 to 450. They were crispy.

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Pork Butt,
    Thank you. That tells me what I wanted. Cook till they look done, I can do that.

• Pork Butt
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]These I have are the folding ones, and stainless. I love my toys when it comes to BBQ. [p]

• Picked up a couple this afternoon at Lowes. [p]Can't wait to use em. [p]Thanks for the heads up. [p]Bubba T
  • Pork Butt,[p]Very interesting. Thanks for the pics.