Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probe Placement??????

SpiceCooks
SpiceCooks Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One would think that as long as we have been cooking on the EGG that I would not have this question. Where does everyone put the polder probe in a chicken? We are cooking beer butt chicken today and sure enough, the thing started beeping when the chicken had only been in there about 45 minutes. (Temp set for 180) This is not the first time this has happened to us when cooking chicken. Cooking indirect in drip pan with EGG at about 325-340... Probe is in the breast. As usual also, we were very careful to try not to get the probe close to bone. Thanks for feedback.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    SpiceCooks,
    Make a small slit in the thigh and see if the juices are running clear if so the chicken is done.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    SpiceCooks,
    I put the probe in the thickest part of the breast, and pull off at 165. Thigh is normally 175-180.
    Hope that helps! Enjoy your meal, and don't cook the breast to 180!
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    SpiceCooks,
    Thanks guys. I knew someone would come to the rescue. We were not quite sure as to what temp to cook the breast to. (Brain cells dead today I guess.) We will have to use the small thermometer to double check. Cheers!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sorry, I read your message again, and I see you said it was beeping 180 after 45 minutes. Try moving it to another spot in the breast. Or, like JJ mentioned, check the color of the juices.[p]Enjoy. Hi to Clay.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    SpiceCooks,[p]I usually don't trust my polder when it says the chicken is ready, so I carefully take to mutilating it by pulling the probe nearly all the way out, but then changing the angle and re-inserting. I take two or three readings this way before I believe the first one. I justify it by thinking that there is only one entry hole for juices to escape, plus I like to insert the probe from the top of the breast downward, so that gravity works in my favor for keeping the moisture in should the secondary readings tell me the bird isn't quite done.[p]Brant