Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Argentine Themed Meal

Options
GonetoSeed
GonetoSeed Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to cook an Argentine themed meal for my son's birthday to match up with a Malbec that he made and is uncorking (I will probably have a backup Malbec :) ). I did a search and found a few pointers - must include Chimichurri sauce. My question for the Eggspert's that may have done a similiar cook is what cut of beef and cooking method to get the authentic taste (without having to go to Fogo de Chao) and any suggestions for sides is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    GonetoSeed,[p]Here is one that was posted a few years aago.[p]Beef, Steak, Gaucho-Style W/Argentinian Chimichurri Sauce, Bob Blumer
    [p]Argentinian Chimichurri Sauce:
    1 cup lightly packed chopped parsley (ideally, flat leaf "Italian" parsley)
    3-5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
    2 Tbs fresh oregano leaves (optional)
    2 Tbs shallot or onion, minced
    3/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
    3 Tbs sherry wine vinegar, or red wine vinegar
    3 Tbs lemon juice
    Steak:
    1 Tbs cayenne pepper
    3 Tbs salt
    2 1/2 lbs rib-eye, New York strip, or sirloin steak, 1 1/2 inches thick
    2 baguettes, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices

Procedure
    1 Preheat a grill.
    2 Place all chimichurri sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until well chopped, but not pureed. Reserve.
    3 Dissolve cayenne pepper and salt in 1 cup hot water. Transfer to a squeeze container.
    4 Place the steak directly over a hot grill, baste with the chimichurri grilling sauce, and grill until the outer portion of the meat reaches the desired degree of doneness.
    5 Remove the steak from the grill and slice long strips from the outer edges of the steak.
    6 Instruct guests to pick up a steak slice from the cutting board with their fingers, place it on a slice of baguette, and enjoy.
    7 Return the remaining steak to the grill, baste, and grill until more of the steak is cooked.
    8 Remove and repeat the slicing and serving procedure until steak is consumed.
    9 For extra spicy steak, baste 2 or 3 additional times with the cayenne pepper mixture during grilling process.
    10 Spoon chimichurri sauce over steak. (Also brilliant on any grilled fish or chicken)

Servings: 4
    Cooking time: 10 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Bob Blumer[p]Source: BGE Forum, Bob Blumer, 08/02/03

[p]

• fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    Options
    GonetoSeed,
    Bobby Flay's Boy Meets Grill did a show with an Argentine flair that had sides and steak.[p]HTH[p]--Linnea

[ul][li]FoodNetwork[/ul]
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    To cook in the Argentinian-style....you need Argentenian cuts....I'm not sure where you're located.....But here in Miami....Gateway to South American.....we have several Argentinaian meat markets.....They sell American-raised beef cut in the Argentenian way.....[p]The "entrana" is a thin, rectangular piece of meat that should have the back membrane removed, lightly topped with sea salt and then cooked in a hot-n-fast method......The "entrana" is very flavorful and tender.....best cooked rare or medium rare but no more than that.....[p]The "vacio" is a thick, dense cut of meat...or thickly cut "flap steak"...not flank steak....cooked at not such a high temp....and best cooked to medium or even medium well...The "vacio" is a thick and chewy piece of beef but is extremely flavorful.....Again...seasoned with just plain, coarse sea salt....[p]Beef short ribs...or "asado de tira"....These are also very popular in the Argentenian restuarants....Usually cooked lower and slower than a steak......Very tasty.....[p]Then there are the "morsillas" or blood sausages...those are very popular as are the "sweet breads"....which are beef brains...cooked up nice-n-tasty......[p]So...if you want to cook meat in the Argentenian way....Check around to see if there is an Argentenian or latin-owned meat market in your area...and hopefully they'll be able to help you....[p]Ed McLean.....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• GonetoSeed,[p]The most widely available cuts of meat without going to a specialty markets are Skirt Steak and Flank Steak. You should be able to find this just about anywhere. These are popular cuts for this style of grilling.[p]Argentineans eat quite a bit of beef, without some American reservations about the various cuts, they eat the whole cow, and I mean everything from head to tail.
    In fact they will have parties were the whole cow is spit roasted.
    Go for you favorite cuts and don’t worry to much.[p]Chimichurri is the national BBQ sauce, and like every were else, there is regional differences, however, there is 4 main ingredients and after that, well you can do what you want.[p]Parsley
    Garlic
    White vinegar
    Salt[p]By the way if you decide to go to an authentic Argentinean Parrillada, don’t go to Fogo de Chao; this happens to be a Brazilian style restaurant, same continent, different country, and different cuisine.[p]Pete-Tampa

• GonetoSeed
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You've given me some great ideas. I'll post about the final plans and results. [p]Pete-Tampa - yep, I realized I had shown my geographic ignorance, right after I hit submit.
  • All over the map
    Options
    GonetoSeed,[p]Here's a great blog from someone living in Argentina:[p]http://www.asadoargentina.com/[p]I would recommend proveleta (grilled provolone), chorizo and tenderloin as genuine Argentinean parrilla dishes. Good luck![p]

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    GonetoSeed,
    I have never been to Argentina, but have lived in Mexico and have been to some great restaurants. The chimichuri is a must and after that, I say go for the cut you like. From my perspective, the hallmark from the good restaurants is good beef, so see if you can find some prime and even better if it is aged.[p]The other thing I love is the great empanadas that they make and they would be good on an Egg too.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    BobS,[p]Someone knew you were going to say that!![p]Meat, Empanadas, Pasties, Latin

With the winter cold here, I decided to try a U.P. pastie, but 'ala Egg. I started with 1 pound of cubed beef and 1/2 lb. of pork. I gave the pieces a basic rub of salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and paprika. I smoked the pieces rather heavily for an hour at 250 - 290. Then I ground up the meat, and mixed it with grated potatoes, carrots and rutabegas. After placing the mix on pre-made pie dough, I returned 2 to the Egg, now at 350 with an upright plate-setter and a pizza stone. I let them cook a little longer than an hour. An inserted thermometer read just above 210. Because the meat had already rendered out most of the fat, and was a little dry, I made some red wine gravy. The results were good. The smoke flavor was strong and sharp, and even without the gravy, the pie was pretty moist. But next time I'll put a little of the gravy into the pocket before cooking.
    [p] 1 lb beef stew meat, cubed to 1/2 inch.
    1/2 lb pork stew meat, cubed to 1/2 inch.
    3 - 4 medium potatoes, diced to 1/4"
    1 large carrot, diced to 1/4"
    1/2 medium rutagega, diced to 1/4"
    or
    1 medium turnip, diced to 1/4"
    (rutabegas are a lot better, IMO)
    Salt, pepper, and parsley to taste.
    A pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
    Butter and/or a few tablesoons of broth to mix with everything.

As many 9" pie crusts folded over as it takes to hold all the fillings (for me, usually 6). Puncture the crusts to let steam out. Brush with egg wash. Place in oven at 350 for about an hour. If it looks like the filling is drying out during cooking, add butter, gravy, wine, all or any mixture thereof through the top cuts.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Meat, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Gdenby, 12/02/06

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Richard,
    Sounds really good. Think I might have to use onion instead of rutabegas or turnips. LOL