Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New green egger needs help.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi. I went out today and spent my hard earned money on a new Big Green Egg. They are putting it together for me today so I get to pick it up tomorrow. I need suggestions on something really easy and tasty to make on this thing to impress the wife. I can use all the help I can get from the pro's out there. Remember, I am green.
Ralph
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Ralph Encarnacion,
    Welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy learning and to make a meal NOT turn out right on your new investment, you'll have to work at it. Plenty of suggestions of what to cook; just give a preference. Or, you can read thru the posts here and get some excellent advice. Follow the time/temps and you and your wife will be most impressed.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Ralph Encarnacion,[p]Welcome to the family and forum.[p]My very first cook on my first Egg was steak. One inch thick strips with a dusting of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on both sides. Cooked them at 600-750°F for 4 minutes and flipped them. Cooked another 4 minutes and then closed both top and bottom vents. Waited another 4 minutes and removed (after venting the Egg). Waited 10 minutes and then served. It was worth every penny at that point....[p]We like medium well done and the cook achieved it. This cook is often on the drier side when done on anything other than an Egg. These steaks were dripping liquid. [p]Spin

• Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Ralph Encarnacion,[p]I have to side with Spin here. I have had my Egg for two weeks and my first cook(and tonight's) was steak. Just fill the firebox and let the temp get around 700° and put on a couple of steaks at least an inch thick. I like mine medium so I flip after 3min and then shut everything down after three more and let it dwell for another 3-4 minutes. OPEN VENTS, and then take them off and let sit for 5-10min.[p]Best steaks you will ever have. You'll want to remove the top vents completely for this cook.[p]Mark
  • olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Venting the egg is very important. When you open a closed egg that is full of red hot coals, you can get an impressive fireball. Besides the smell of burnt eyebrows put some people off. :-)
  • Ralph Encarnacion,[p]Welcome Ralph. Steaks are always a winner. Nothing is easier to do on the BGE. You will see many different variations on a steak cooking theme here. I do my favoirte like this: I like Tenderloins cut 2" thick. Sea salt and liberal coating of fresh ground pepper. Let the Egg get to about 700F (650-750) and when stable, place the meat near the center of the grill, close the lid; wait 3 minutes; open the lid and flip the meat; wait another 3 minutes and then close the top and bottom vents. Wait 5 minutes and remove. Let the steaks sit 10 minutes and serve. Get ready to be ruined. You will not want to go to a "steakhouse" again. Just be sure to by the best cut of meat you can find. The BGE will do the rest. [p]Enjoy!!
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Ralph Encarnacion,
    If you like game hens, give them a try. Set up your Egg for about 275F. Rub a little olive oil on the hens with some salt and pepper. Put them breast side up for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. They will have a crispy skin and will be juicy beyond comparison.
    JimW

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JimW, I agree. Great eating..In a quick set up, I used the smallest beer bottles (8 oz?) available, left half in and did Cornish hens mounted as you seasoned em. Works..!
    Glass is a bit yuk in cleaning later.
    Cheers to ya..C~W[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Char-Woody,
    Spray the bottles with Pam. Cleanup is quite a bit easier.
    JimW

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JimW, Dang, your right again..good idea. Also works on the face of dome thermometers for waterproofing. Lasts a good 3 months or more. Wipe off the residule.
    C~W[p]