Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for the butt eggsperts!!

Options
bsfd806
bsfd806 Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got two butts to cook tomorrow night, one is 4.75 lbs and the other is 3.50 lbs. [p]Question is should I plan on a 8.25 lb cook or is the time typically shorter since it's seperated peices of butt.[p]This is my first attempt cooking 2 butts instead of one at 7-8 lb. Thanks in advance for all help!!!

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    bsfd806,
    I'd like to fancy myself a butt man.
    Cook time won't change. Don't add the weights. The 3.5 will be done when a 3.5 is usually done, and the 4.75 will be done shortly thereafter.
    Take temp readings from the small butt first. Then switch to the big butt "I like big butts and I can not lie".[p]Good luck - I'm doing butts next weekend.

• grilln & chilln
    Options
    I just did a 4.75 lb butt last night. It still took 10+ hours at a dome temp of 235-250. I put it on at 12:30 am and pulled it off at 11:45am. It was 195 internal temp. No guru or stoker, just stabilize the temp and let her roll. Plan on 2+ hours per pound to give yourself some cushion on when it will be ready.
  • bsfd806, My first over nighter with new butt I made sure to carry my wiggle rod to push the lum down when it was burned out of the middle. It seems to work out better that way. In the morning you will be happy you had it. The biggest thing is to make sure you watch the temp and don’t over heat it before you are ready.