Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Hour Thighs

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Evenin'.
Flying solo here tonight, as the missuz and twins are over at grandma's. Had some "outside time", so I decided to do something a bit different. I usually cook thighs for about an hour (or a bit less) sometimes direct at 300, or indirect at 400. We cook thighs at least once a week....sometimes more. Today I decided i wanted a smokier flavor, and a longer cook (to allow more time to sip cold Guinness). [p]I broke out my recently-acquired plate setter, a shallow dry drip pan, and got me a little fire going. I plunged 2 chunks of cherry (love that stuff) into the fire, and waited maybe 15 minutes until the smoke was blue, and the dome temp was about 200. Put 4 mustard/rub/rubbed thighs on over the dry drip pan, with a steady blue smoke coming from the top. I left the daisy off, and cracked the bottom vent to 1/8 inch. Over the next hour, the dome temp slowly rose to 300. I applied some sauce to both sides, and stuck in the polder probe. After 30 more minutes I flipped the pieces over. Polder read 158. 30 more minutes and Polly Polder was croaking 175. The sauce was caramalized everywhere, and not burnt anywhere. [p]The juice dripped down my chin. A nice smoky spice was throughout, and the crust was bursting with flavor. The skin was a not crunchy, but I normally don't eat it anywho.[p]And it was good.
I recommend a similar approach if you want something new and good.[p]Stouts!!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Hey NB interesting post. One thought I had as I read it; does having the "more time to sip cold Guinness", help in coming up with phrases like, "Polly Polder was croaking 175", oh man that was great! LOL [p]I am starting to look more and more for more smoke flavor myself so this post was interesting to me.[p]Take Care,
    Jethro

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I've been doing leg quarters pretty much that way for several years now. They always turn out great and they will hold for a good while if something else gets delayed.
    JimW