Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table or Nest???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I broke down and just purchased a large egg for 499.00 the question i have is do i get the metal nest or the wood table?? i love the looks of the table but how hot does the bottom of the egg get?? wont this burn the wood? if as is staded in handbook i place a stone under the egg then it wont look as good sitting in the table as it will be up a inch higher i also have a sliver of a gap in the felt at the back where it comes tgether anyway to fix this? is this a problem?? how much is a new gasket so maybe i could cut a small sliver off it?
thank you i am very happy to be an egg owner and too have found this web site!

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    slim pickens,
    Loosen the top band bolt and let the dome settle down on the baser and retighten. I have been using a table for 4 years now with no problems, I do use a 2" concrete stepping stone under my EGGS.

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 10
    Options
    slim pickens:
    My husband built his own table that looks just like the one at the bar-b-que store (for about $150 less than they charged). The botton of the Egg sits on the "feet" which come with the Egg so it does not actually sit on the wood. It looks great and he really likes the room to set plates on when he pulls the food off.

• Unknown
    Options
    JJ,
    does your hubby live near vegas?:) i am getting the table bought for me as a birthday gift JJ as for the bands...i have yet to put the egg together will the gap in both the upper and lower part of the eggs on the gasket be a problem? if so what is the fix?

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    slim pickens,
    I highly recommend a table. You'll soon find yourself looking for more room if for nothing else than to place your beer! If you invest the money you would spend on the nest and side tables, the table isn't that much more and will give you plenty more room/options.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    slim pickens, table is nice. I would not recommend using just the three little ceramic feet that come with the egg. The concrete stepping stone works well and I have never heard of a fire problem with the stone underneath. I have heard of charred wood with just the three feet.

• ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    slim pickens,[p]I built a table and used three BGE feet, they were fine until I upgraded to the cast iron Lodge Trivet to replace the ceramic grate at the bottom, it got real hot down there. I ended up placing the ceramic grate under the egg for some added protection; it worked well.[p]Tom