Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Cleaning?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Daisy Wheel for my BGE has that black, "smokey crud" all over it....what is the best way to clean it off? Wire brush it off or can you soak it in something first?[p]Also....what is the best way to get a replacement gasket? I sent an e-mail to the "contact us" link on this website a coupole of weeks ago asking the question, but have received no response....[p]thanks

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AU Parker,
    When I'm done cooking I put the daisy wheel on the grid and the ceramic rain cap on top. Seems to keep the daisy clean. -RP

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    AU Parker,
    Get the Egg up to temp... cook on it... when it is time to shut it down put the daisy wheel in and use the green cap that came with the Egg to shut it down... the residual heat in the Egg will burn off the gunk on the daisy wheel.

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    AU Parker,
    If your local supplier is not very local, and you need/want to contact Mother Ship, I have had better luck on the phone:
    Telephone: (770) 934-5300[p]As for the gasket ... you'll first have to wrestle with the BGE replacement or Rutland. Good luck on that one, but a search of the archives will flood you with information.[p]Hope this helps,
    Peter

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    AU Parker,
    Oven cleaner, then put it in a plastic grocery bag for a couple of hours so it doesn't dry out. Then hose off.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Super Glide
    Options
    AU Parker,[p]Take your grid and your daisy wheel and put them in your oven for a self cleaning cycle.[p]They come out like new.[p]If you don't have a self cleaning oven, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Superglide,
    the egg!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    IMG_3654.jpg
    <p />AU Parker,
    After the daisy wheel has cooled down so I can handle it, I'll disassemble and scrub with bronze wool (medium grade) inside and out then clean up by wiping with a rag. My patina is startin to take on an antique look of an old steam tractor, cleaned up and ready to go to work.
    Clay[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    42d4a3c6.jpg
    <p />ClayQ,
    are you oiling that down too, mine looks like it came from inside that old steam locomotive. i dont think ive seen a picture of one so rusty, its much blacker now, but they do rust when the paints removed from excessive heat

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Super Glide
    Options
    stike,[p]yeah, I know, but a self cleaning cycle is like 700 degrees for 6-8 hours.[p]I mean sure, you can do that on the egg, but thats probably more trouble than its worth. But if you don't have a self cleaning oven... well I get your point.
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]When mine got rusty I coated it lightly with peanut oil and put it in the oven at 325 for about an hour - kind of like curing a cast iron skillet. That made it pretty much like new.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Superglide,
    i just mean, putting it in after every cook. renders off most of the excess. what's left makes for a nice not-so-leaky daisy.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    100_1113.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ,
    its blackeneing back on its own now, probably should never put it in an egg over say 400 degrees. this duck cook helped it alot, cant imagine how much grease is actually in smoke as it goes thru the daisy.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Good gosh, that looks like a cedar wood cap on yer egg! I could not sleep at night with the daisy rusted. Mine, it gets black on its own and slowly builds up smoke and grease varnish. Seasonal cleanin four times a year and I always take the daisy inside when not in use. Nothin more iconic than the cast iron daisy wheel, a piece of engineering excellence.[p]