Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

purchasing a small

smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the tax man is giving me back money this year so I am off to the local dealer to pick me up a small next week.
Our Eggs are quite expensive in Canada, add in the nest, and I am looking at $850 plus all our taxes! So have decided to do without the nest!! I really do not want to be stooping over the bbq!
I have a large with a nest with hopes to have something built. In the mean time, can I put this on a wood crate with the feet? Or do I have to have a fire brick under it?
Thanks

Comments

• smokn gramma g,[p]$850 + tax. That's criminal. And we wonder why dealers up here jam the BGE's into the corner of the showroom and push the shiny SS gasers. If we had an Eggfest in my area we could have it in my back yard given the scacity of eggers due to the sticker shock.[p]To answer your question, you should be fine with the egg and feet, but it woudln't hurt to throw a patio stoner underneath the egg.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    smokn gramma g,[p]I wouldn't risk it. I'd put it on a patio stone or something similar. The airspace between the bottom of the small egg and the top of the wood crate might not be sufficient to prevent the wood from scorching. I've seen pictures of that very thing on this forum. If you aren't concerned about the wooden crate you might still want to consider that your small egg might drop through the crate if it does burn. Smash! Not good. Especially at that price. If I were you, I'd take a road trip down to Buffalo or whatever U.S. border town is closest to you. Even with the duties, you'll still come out ahead. Canadian egg prices are not in line with our American friends prices even once the exchange rate is factored in. I paid over $1100 for my large and my co-worker bought a large in Detroit for less than $700. Even after duties, taxes and exchange, she still paid way less than I did.[p]Cheers,[p]John
  • Ottawa_egger,
    I KNOW! P#**@s me off the cost, but gotta take in the shipping, crappy $$... But then... we still bought one, or two![p]thanks

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    smokn gramma g,
    I don't know if this will help, or if it's even possible, but...[p]You might check and see if somebody makes a plant stand that would accomodate a small. I picked up a plant stand for our mini; it looks OEM, is quite sturdy, and raises the cooker to a handier height than the ring that came with it.[p]My condolences on your cost.[p]Ken

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    DSC00081.JPG
    <p />smokn gramma g,
    All the way to the right in tis picture you can see how my small is situated. Wooden platform to achieve the height I wanted...layered with fire bricks and then the little green feet for an air cushion. We have not had any problems with this setup.....That kinda cost would make me consider driving to a fest....ouch !!!![p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    IMG_0701.jpg
    <p />BlueSmoke,
    I agree - a sturdy plant stand will serve nicely and really not cost all that much. This is my mini in a stand, which BTW isn't used inside on the carpet, but taken outside! I tell my wife it's OK because Baby is housebroken and would never mess the porch!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Newbs,
    Some of the prices I am seeing it out of the world. Down here in Florida I have a few dealers that carries BGE's, most of the dealers are Pinch a Penny's. There a pool out fits that carries pool supplies and BGE's. I shopped around and got my large egg with no nest, but came with a 20 lb. bag of BGE coal and the ash tool for 599.00 and then good old tax. Got my egg back in Feb. I guess I was lucky.
    Mike

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    WessB, what no crown under there.......

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    tjv,
    I doesn`t last long enough to make it under there..LOL..plus I usually give the Crown, the front and center seat right on top of the counter..

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    WessB, ah man, just rookie thinking on my part. I should know better than question a true professional.......LOL

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.