Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

problems getting high temps

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a problem getting my egg past 450 deg when I want to sear a steak, whats the problem?

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Tyler Mitchell,
    Ther could be a number of issues. Do you have enough lump in your firebox? Don't follow manual, load it up. Is your firebox draft hole lined up with the lower vent hole/ Is your lump could and dry? Did you put enough fire starter to the lump? Are you opening the upper wheel all the way and the lower vent opened all the way. These are some things you might check. good luck, Tom

• BajaTom
    Options
    Bajatom,
    Sorry for all the typos and spelling. I uaually check more carefully but you get the drift. Tom

• Bajatom, I just realized that the opening on bottom of the the ceramic interior piece is damaged, i.e. the whole is about 1/3 bigger than it should be, would this prevent me from getting high heat?

• BajaTom
    Options
    Tyler Mitchell,
    If you are talking about the internal firebox opening it may just be that it is not aligned with the outside ceremic opening. These are twow diffirent pieces and openings. The internal fire box can be removed and realligned with the vent opening on the outside of the egg. They should allign together to form a full pass through. good luck, Tom

• BajaTom
    Options
    BajaTom,
    I think the eggnerd site had a diagramn of all the parts and how they fit together. I would link you to it but I don't know how to do it. Maybe someone wil chime in. Good luck, Tom

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Tyler Mitchell,
    It's all about fuel and air. If your air supply hole is bigger, then it should be easier to get to high temps.
    If the hole in the bottom of the firebox is lined up with the door, the door is wide open, the holes in the grate and the firebox are unclogged, the fuel is plentiful, dry and well lit, and the top is either open or the daisy wheel totally off, you should have trouble keeping it under 700. If you really want to get it going in a hurry, a hair dryer or compressed air hose will get a forge going quickly.
    Good luck.

• infredible
    Options
    Tyler Mitchell,[p]Open the bottom vent all the way includint the screen open.
    Take the top entirely off.
    Put lots of lump
    Light it good and stand back!
    If it doesn't go to 700 ... you've got airways blocked somewhere.

• Tyler Mitchell,
    As a newbie myself, my advice should be taken with a grain of salt. That said, I know I had the same trouble so I filled the firebox almost to the top, put 3 firestarters in, opened up all the vents, and let him rip. He was up to 700 in no time. I just wasn't using enough lump before. Good luck!

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    Tyler Mitchell,
    Clean all the old lump, vacuum it all out, fill it up with new dry lump, open the vents all the way, light it and stand back....