Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first beautiful butt

Options
Thrill
Thrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All I can say is "AWESOME"!!![p]Last Thursday night, I put on a 7lb Boston Butt covered with MikeO's EggFest Rub and yellow mustard, and let it go for 19.5 hrs at 225-250*. At that point, it hit the magical 200*, and was amazingly "fork tender". I let it sit for an hour in some foil, and then pulled it apart, making sure to do some quality taste testing along the way.[p]By the time my poker buddies showed up at 8pm Friday night, the pulled pork was ready. After several emails over the previous couple of days about my smoking butt, I was anxious for them to taste the manna from the Egg. Needless to say, I probably sold a couple of Eggs friday night. That 7lb butt made about 30 sandwiches, or so. The flavor was incredible![p]And it was so simple. When I went to work Friday morning, the BGE was sitting at 240* after smoking for 8hrs. When I got home at 4pm, it was still at 240*. Amazing.[p]To all of you out there that think you're not ready to tackle a 20hr smoke, think again! You can do it![p]That butt was so good, it looks like I'm doing 2 more for the upcoming holiday weekend.[p]Thanks to all on this forum for providing the info that made my first 'butt smoke' a success![p]Thrill

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Thrill,[p]Congrats, I've tried a couple of butts myself with so-so results. I think you've inspired me to get back in the saddle again. As you commented the upcoming long weekend would be perfect.[p]Again way to go on that marathon butt cook![p]Jethro
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Thrill,[p]Great post!!!![p]It is amazing how simple a butt can be and the rewards outweigh everything.[p]Congrats.[p]Mick

• ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    Thrill,[p]That sounded awesome, I too think I shall try some butt. I tackled my first long smoke two weeks ago, a 7.5lb brisket for 21 hours, it came out fork tender. It hovered at 225* but ran into problems at hour 18 where I had to stir and re-light the fire. Lesson learned: stir half-way through. I also purchased a trivet this week, it should help with oxygen flow, there 25% less of it here in Denver.[p]Go Avalanche!!!!

• Jacket
    Jacket Posts: 2
    Options
    Thrill,[p]Great job and thanks for the detailed posts. Experience is the best teacher and wisdom is learning from someone else's experience.[p]Now the question is... can we replicate this success on the tailgate of a Yukon outside Bobby Dodd Stadium?[p]Jacket