Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast Help

Options
Gene613
Gene613 Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have one I'm going to cook today but need a little recipe help. Seasoning and cook times and temps.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Gene613,[p]From the files of the Turkey King (or is that the king turkey)comes a recipe like no other. People from far and wide sing the praises of this delectable hunk of fine beef. OK actually it was a couple wide people and they were really close...[p]The naked man smart guy from Raleigh NC decided it was so good he posted it on his site for all to see.[p]Mad Max Prime
  • Gene613
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Thanks, sounds and looks great!!! Only ONE problem....I REFUSE to go to the store and don't have any fresh herbs, plus I don't have the extra fat layer and all (Publix had them on sale $5.99/lb) so I grabbed a really good looking one. I might make up a dry herb mix drizzle some EVOO and rub it down and go from there and use M.M. cooking method.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Gene613,
    the extra fat layer was bonus. .don't worry about it . .. also, as far as what you put on it, its all good. ..dry herbs (herbs de provenc is great) ... you could also go with lots of garlic, s&p, dizzy rub, etc. ...just pick what you like and go with it. .. the more important thing is how you roast it and make sure you don't over cook it. .remember, it will go up 5 - 10 degrees between the time you pull it off the egg and the time you are ready to carve it. ..[p]enjoy

• Gene613
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] I thought about using DP rub but want something more "elegant" for Easter!! I drizzled with EVOO then did some dry herbs (rosemary, thyme, fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt). The package says to cook 1hr 45min to 2hr 15min for med/rare at 350 in the oven but I am going to use the 500 and close down to 325 until I get an internal of about 125 and pull it and let it rest about 20 min before cutting. We have never done a standing rib roast before so HOPEFULLY it turns out GREAT!!! I think I might go cut a few holes and put some garlic cloves in it!! [p]Thanks you guys are great and always helpful!!
  • Gene613,
    I have a 6 lber 3 boner on the large Just had the ribs cut off and tied back on with twine I rub a little evoo and s&P and garlic powder and onion powder and of course fresh rosemarry crushed up, rubbed that all over and insided and threw a couple of chunks of pecan and oak wood to smoke. The temp is set at 320
    its at 111 right now and going to pull it off at 120 and rest 10 minutes. This went on at 1.30 seems this one cooked fast.
    The temp gauge I had from target sucks! it started beeping 2 minutes after we put the roast on the grid . I ran back up to Lowes and bought another different gauge for 20.00 bucs and seem to be doing the job,
    But my question is what brand lets you set the temp to finish at 120 most temp gauges I had have set times already in them and you have to watch it all the time so it dont over cook.
    I would like to buy one that lets me set the temp finish to what ever time I want, This is suppose to be the purpose of the these damn timers so I dont have to babysit them