Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small egg accessories

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to order my first BGE. I want to start with a Small for use around the house and for camping and tailgating. I'm sure I'll eventually order either a Large or ExtraLarge for the picnics and parties we will be having. The shop has to order it. So I was wondering what accessories I should have for the Small? I've never cooked on one yet and any and all your advice would be GREATLY appreciated.[p]Thanks in advance for the help![p]Joe

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Joe Schwatka,
    "Grate Mates" for adjusting your grilling heights and giving you easy indirect cooking.
    12" pizza stone.
    Map torch for starting lump.
    Grill gloves of some kind for touching hot grill racks.
    Might think about cast iron grate.
    Fence to keep all the free loaders away.
    Just a start,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Joe Schwatka,
    BGE now offers a plate setter for the samll, that will take care of any indirect cook you may want to do...Chubby sells the "Gratemates" which will accomplish indirect and rasied grid for the small....an ash tool would be nice to have...it should include the dome thermometer and the nest...most other items would be non BGE...remote therm..etc...You can see several ways to achieve indirect cooking on the samll on my website in the tips section..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Jackbythesea
    Options
    Joe Schwatka,
    Grate Mates are Greaaaaaaat!!
    Jack

• Why a cast iron grate? Looking at the cut-away picture of the BGE on the NakedWhiz's website, the grate is down in the firebox. Is there something wrong with the one that comes with the BGE?