Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-egg questions...............

Options
GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I presently have a medium BGE but since I have an RV has thought about buying a mini egg to take camping with me. Can you get a daisy wheel for the mini? What's the most you can cook on a mini? Maybe a few steaks or a whole chicken or a couple of hamburgers? Since no plate setter is available from BGE Atlanta, is there any way to indirect cook on a mini? Thanks for any input......

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    I got a mini last summer before our camping trip to the Oshkosh WI air show. It was great; I took along pork tenderloins, salmon fillets, steaks, sausages, vegetables (I vacu-sealed portions and froze them)...it performed like a champ. I didn't try a whole chicken, though I think you could do a small one. The mini I bought came with a daisy wheel. I bought an extra grid and was able to sort of gerry rig a drip pan using a pie plate. The mini is still very useful, as it's more often than not just the two of us and it heats up quickly and cooks like a little champ. Don't leave home without one!
    HTH,
    Gretl

• GenesGrill
    Options
    Gretl,
    Is there anyway you could indirect cook on a mini??

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minicook.jpg
    <p />GenesGrill,
    Here is a few pictures of what you can do with the mini egg...Good luck.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mini Egg at the Lake[/ul]
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    YB,
    Larry.....will the dome close with the second grill on there? How do you get the top grill separated/attached to the bottom grill???

• YB
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    Yes it will close...I had a stainless steel ring made (9"x1 1/2"x1/8")and it works great using 2 grids.
    Larry

• GenesGrill
    Options
    YB,
    Larry....I remember meeting you at Eggtoberfest in Atlanta. Am I correct in assuming that the top grill has several small "legs" on it that hold it above the lower grill?? Couldn't tell for sure by the pictures. Got a nice place on the lake there. By the way, I went through your neck of the woods recently when we stopped by to east lunch at the "Nu-Way" hotdog place (the original one) in Macon.....great hotdogs!![p]

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    GenesGrill, ClayQ post is indirect raised grid setup for the mini. It's an impressive setup. Check it out at this link.

[ul][li]ClayQ's indirect setup[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    She just told you,
    "I bought an extra grid and was able to sort of gerry rig a drip pan using a pie plate." [p]Anything between the fire and what you are cooking is considered an indirect cook. Pie plate, bricks, pizza stone or an old shoe counts.

• YB
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    Here is a close up picture of the grids and ring.I don't have legs on it.I had the ring made and it sets on one grid and the other grid sets on the top.If you look at the chicken wing picture you can see wings on both grids.I remember meeting you in Atlanta also and hope to see you this year.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mini Egg Grids[/ul]
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    YB,
    Thanks Larry......looks like a cheesecake pan without a bottom.....