Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Health concerns with charcoal use

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering the purchase of an egg for my husband. I am concerned about cooking with charcoal, as I am a 5 year cancer survivor and I am not sure of the safety of the "smoke" from charcoal as compared with propanr grilling. Can anyone give me some information regarding this matter. I realize that the charcoal amts used are less than regular charcoal use with the egg. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Min,
    Very happy to hear that you are surviving that scary disease! As far as i know, and this information has been discussed before on this forum, the possible dangers come from charred meats that are cooked over high heat, and from meat fat drippings that burn. Gas grills are equally capable of producing those scenarios..[p]Have not heard of any risks associated with smoke from charcoal, Many things can be cooked successfully (and even phenomenally) with an indirect setup...providing a barrier between the direct coals. This elemnates both the high temp char risk as well as the fat drippings burning risk.[p]Just some thoughts. MikeO had some interesting facts he posted last time this question was asked. You might check the archives.[p]cheers! and welcome.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p] Dang, the archives are off again. Wish I could remember what I wrote! You've got the basic idea right. There have been some studies that claim to show a correlation (NOTE: A CORRELATION IS NOT THE SAME AS A PROVEN CAUSITIVE RELATIONSHIP!) between chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heterocyclic amines (HCAs), and breast cancer. Both of these chemicals are created when you char meats (and, if memory serves, vegetables too -- but to a lesser extent). The PAHs are created from the carbon in the muscle tissue, the HCAs are formed from a reaction between creatine and amino acids at high temperatures. This means that there are HCAs and PAHs in the charred crust of food cooked at high temperatures and in the smoke that the grease makes when it drops onto hot coals or hot gas grill elements. So, it is not the charcoal or the gas causing the problem (though I will be the first to admit that you shouldn't cook over charcoal briquettes still soaked in lighter fluid!), it is the searing of the food. Many sources are now recommending that people not sear food often, and if you are going to sear something, to precook it first in the microwave or over lower heat, then scrape off the charred part after finishing it off at high heat. Interestingly, there are other studies out now that seem to show that marinating the meat first may help reduce the formation of PAHs and HCAs. I will leave it to the individual to decide what to do with their own eating habits and would encourage them to make sure to research all arguments before deciding on what to do . . .[p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MikeO, no need to dig into the archive's..this fresh one has the ring of nicely cast brass bell to it...:-)
    Nice post! Well written and to the point.
    C~W[p]