Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hooked on the BGE...May get another!

Options
TexasTigerFan
TexasTigerFan Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK...I am a newbie but I have already thought about getting a smaller egg so I will conserve charcoal, more daily use, etc. Is the small BGE just as easy to control the temperature as the large? Are all the sizes comparable that way? I am trying to talk myself out of it since I have only owned a large BGE for a few weeks. I am sure I will wait, but it is tempting. Please let me know if there are any reasons not to buy a smaller egg for more daily use other than cost.[p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Ref1515,
    There is a shortage of them and I haven't got my second one yet. Good enough reason? LOL
    I love my small and would like to get another for Arrowhead.[p]Mike

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Ref1515,[p]
    You will quickly realize that even 2 may not be sufficient.[p]David Lee

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Get the small. You may find it is not quite as easy as the large to bring up to temp but it is still pretty damn easy. [p]Spacey
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Ref1515,
    I'm a big advocate of the small and large combo. That small is one fine little grilling machine. Though I have 4 eggs my small gets 55 to 60% of the action year around. Get it - you won't regret it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Ref1515,[p]I got another large instead of something Smaller. I felt that gave me the greatest flexibility. yesterday I had a couple of pastrami's cooking all day at 225 in one and for dinner I had porkchops cooking at 600 in the other. Of course, I have to feed a small army everyday too, so your milage may vary.
  • Ref1515,
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Large, BUT you MUST STOP at once. You are on a very slippery slope and could easily become a full-blown Eggaholic. Just think of the suffering your neighbors will endure night after night knowing your eating egged food and their stuck eating gasser grilled food. Do you not have any empathy for your fellow man? :-)
    GaryJ

• TexasTigerFan
    Options
    GaryJ,[p]
    Let the poor souls suffer I say! I have already had one neighbor comment on the frequent aroma which is coming from my back yard!

• LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    Options
    Ref1515,
    I am still kind of a newbie. I got my large in May of 06. I soon saw that one was not enough. I got a small in December of 06. I had to use the gasser a couple of weeks ago. I had loin, salmon, potatoes, and veggies cooking on the eggs and didn't have room or time for Flower Pot Bread. I cooked 6 pots on the Ducane gasser. It was the first time in 6 months it had been used. May is almost here. It might be time for an anniversary egg. Usually my wife is not to willing to part with money for my "toys" but the eggs have reduced her kitchen work tremendously. I think I want a Mini for the portability!

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Ref1515,
    I bought a large 6 mos. ago... now about 2 weeks ago I bought a Small. NO REGRETS!! THey cook the same. BIG GREEN EGG MAGIC ;=) [p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist