Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a 4lb chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to smoke my first chicken today. Anyone have any special tips/ recipes that they swear about. Planning to keep dome at 225, is that about right?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    camicus,
    I usually do chicken indirect at 350, haven't tried low and slow with it. -RP

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    heya camicus,[p]Like AZ , I do my chickens at 350 using a v-rack. Chicken readily asorbs smoke, so I think you'll like the results just a well as low and slow, plus dinner will be ready sooner! You can use a drip pan if you're worried about flare ups on the bottom of the chicken, but I never use one. I don't mind the bottom being a little extra crispy.[p]I marinate mine in a plastic bag with Newman's Own Italian Dressing for at least an hour or longer. Then make sure you pat the chicken VERY dry with paper towels before adding your dry rub or poultry seasoning. Patting dry gives a nice crispy skin. You can also shove some butter under the skin of the breast if you want, but it's not really needed..I do this sometimes as well.[p]Always use a thermometer to check for doneness.

• DaytonEgger
    Options
    camicus,[p]I like to go lo-n-slo with my chickens. I think the leg and thigh meat, especially, come out very silky and tasty--all the connective tissue breaks down more and the meat just falls off the bone.[p]But I would bump the dome temp to 250--225 could have the grate temp as low as 175. And a lot of people talk about chicken absorbing too much smoke. Maybe I am a bit weird, but I like them good and smokey. I usually use cherry wood, and get a really nice pink hue on them.[p]The one draw back to this method is that the skin gets to be like rubber. I cook it with the skin on th protect the meat, and then just throw it away. It is great with Alabama white sauce.[p]It has taken as long as 6 hours for me to cook them with this method to get the meat to 175 internal, so if you are short on time it may be worth cooking them at a higher temp.

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    DaytonEgger,[p]That sounds fantastic. What is Alabama white sauce, mayo based?

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    camicus,
    I always do mine 350 direct. Beer can style. Will take about 90 min. and they are ready. Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    bbqdiva,[p]Yes. Big Bob Gibson in Alabama is probably the most well known. It's available in many grocery stores. Sort of a sharp mayo, vinegar taste.
    [ul][li]http://www.bigbobgibsonbbq.com/[/ul]