Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gretl's Bourbon Dijon Salmon - variation on the theme

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]I had another fillet of salmon, about 5 pounds, and was hankerin to cook it last night but didnt have the time to do Gretl's awesome bourbon dijon slower cook method, so I used the glaze and did the salmon direct. I raised the grill with my extender and cooked it at 300 for about 20 minutes. I basted it 3-4 times with the glaze during the cook and the sugar and bourbon added a nice crust to the fish. I used my fish cooker/veggie cooker rubbed with olive oil to keep it from sticking and it turned over wonderfully, no sticking at all. It was a huge hit, the whole 5 pounds went with the kids eating more than their fair share of it, my son asked for more chicken, I didnt tell him it was fish. Served it with a fresh spinach and lettuce salad, picked from the garden while the fish was cooking. And had a mexican rice as well. Overall a GREAT dinner, now I have to try that recipe as posted and give it some more time, I'm sure its a winner if its anything like the direct method. Thanks Gretl for an awesome recipe.[p]Troy

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    sprinter,
    Thanks for the kind words! I must confess, I've done it direct and hotter also. No complaints.I'm very happy your family liked it so much. Mine does, too.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Hayhill
    Hayhill Posts: 11
    Options
    sprinter,
    I, too, have done the salmon in the same sort of way, with rave reviews. I have also substituted the bourbon with scotch whiskey, which to my taste smoothes it a bit. Definitely my favorite way to have salmon.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Hayhill,
    ...and if you have any Irish whiskey, just drink it and skip the grill altogether!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Unknown
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Another variation, also done at a higher temp with smaller fillets AND Marsala wine (closest thing I had at the time and it was sooooo good. Also the favorite of the teenager in the household. He thinks everyone eats like this ! Wrong!
    Thanks, Gretl