Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help Please in Choosing my First BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi folks! I am new to BGE (but am probably only a few days away from joining the ranks!). However, I do have one question regarding size before I make the purchase:[p]For a family of 3 (including one monster teenaged boy with an appetite to match!), what size of Egg would suffice? Steaks, chicken pieces, ribs, hamburgers and fish, maybe whole chickens would cover 95 % of what we would cook. I prefer the medium, but suspect the small size would probably do -- I am writing from Canada, and the exchange rate has hammered our dollar so badly that I need to check. I would really have to justify the $ 250 Cdn. extra a medium costs over a small![p]I appreciate any advice, and look forward to buying my (first) Egg![p]Thanks kindly, [p]Doug Tansley
Kanata Ontario
Canada

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Doug Tansley,
    Go for the large.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Doug Tansley,[p]The large is always the best choice if you can have only one but a medium will do what you want and do it well, but don't go smaller.[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Doug Tansley, when you start making jerky, pulled pork, brisket, chicken, turkey, your going to be amazed how the young mans appetite is going to soar. The large is the only choice, unless you cook just for him. :-)
    I am kidding a bit, but here is your justification. Amortize the cost over then next 20 or 30 years. There is very little upkeep to the BGE. Almost like a part of the family home after a few months. Even becomes heirloom pass it on later in estate..:-)
    Appeciation for it will never cease and the initial cost is soon forgotten..
    Good luck in your purchase regardless. If you in the South West part of Canada, you might give Sound Cedar a e.mail and see what they can do for you. They are on our links page on the home page.
    They are either in Oregon or Washington State.
    Char-Woody

• Unknown
    Options
    Doug Tansley,
    When your teenager finds their significant other, they will probably bring them over to show how wonderful your cooking on the EGG is! I now have 8 adults (4 children), besides my wife and I, and now I am considering a second large. We love to throw parties, and I could easily use a second for that. GO LARGE!

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    JJ,
    I remember being where you were, about 5 months ago. All poised to graduate from my Charbroil cheapie water smoker to one of those honkin' New Braunfels smokers with the side wood chamber. Then the guy at the place where I bought my lump, suggested I check out this forum. To make a long story short, I cook primarily for the wife, and two bird-like teenage girls--but have never regretted going for the Large. Since Xmas, I have since also bought a mini, which is starting to get a lot of work, too. El huevo grande es muy bueno....I theeenk. Happy Cinco de Mayo.

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    Doug Tansley,
    I have a medium and I am very happy with it. I am thinking of buying a small to travel with just because it is easier to carry. I think if you go for anything less than a medium you will be back at the BGE store in six months buying a larger one. The BGE is one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. You will not regret paying the extra money for a medium or even a large. Good Luck.[p]Steve

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody, yer slippin, Doug is in Ontario in S.East Canada..
    Mebbe NB can smuggle one over the line??
    Yer Shadow..C~W
    (Just in case DougT isn't aware, I talk to myself quite a bit) :-)

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Doug Tansley,
    Go for the large. If you want to do ribs for 3-4 people you'll be glad you did. The sticker shock will wear of shortly after you've had it. I know a couple places around Rochester, NY & Syracuse, NY where you could get one and maybe same some $. Don't know about getting it across border. Email me if oyu want names & addresses.
    B D

• JJ
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    People still live in Syracuse, N.Y.?

• Unknown
    Options
    JJ,[p]What is that supposed to mean ? It is absolutely gorgeous here right now. OK, so we get a little snow and winter lasts 5 or 6 months. You can't beat the other 3 great seasons, and the totally amazing Adirondack Mts., just a short drive from here. This is the Rodney Dangerfield City of the USA, I guess.

• JJ
    Options
    EJ,
    I was born and raised in Syracuse about 3 block from Syracuse U. near Thorton Park. Enjoy July - August and winter. hehe

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Doug Tansley,
    A friend introduced me to BGE. His wife wouldn't let him have one, so he sold me on the idea/need. When we showed and talked to my wife, she viewed it as an "appliance" and said go for it. Originally, I was looking at a medium. When I got more into it in talking with the "local" dealer, I realized investing this much money, it would be foolish to not spend a little more and buy the large. I, too, have a 17 yr old that thinks eating is a sport/hobby.
    So, I agree with everyone else...buy the large, you won't regret it. You might see about crossing over and buying it here but you know that situation better than I. Good luck and good cooking!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Shelby, Good idea..you rang a bell here. He could come over to a co-operating dealer, buy some steaks, do some on premise grilling, and get a custom's declaration for a used 50 dollar grill. What he paid for it is no body's business.
    Hmmmmm....! So much for NAFTA..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Doug Tansley,[p] I live in Toronto & there are many others around me that own large Eggs I believe all have been bought in Canada. Here is a contact e-mail that will help you out. Brian & John Rance are the Canada Dealers.
    Hope this helps.[p]Earl