Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Pizza - Stone or No Stone?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to get a pizza stone today as we are having a Pizza Party this weekend. My dealer told me not to worry about it and use the Plate Setter. The BGE video says to use the plate sitter and the pizza stone. Any Suggestions?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Eggeneer,
    yes - find a dealer who knows the product![p]Yes you need a pizza stone in addition to the setter. You can get by without a setter if you use a couple fire brick laying flat under the stone while all is sitting on the grate, but otherwise the setter doesn't have enough ceramic mass for uniform heat distribution.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggeneer,[p]Yes definitely use a pizza stone. Make sure you heat it up with platesetter.
  • Eggeneer,
    I've made about 5 or 6 pizzas (thin crust) directly on the setter without a pizza stone. Haven't had a single problem. Make sure to sprinkle some cornmeal on it to prevent sticking. I do mine at around 400 to 425 for 15 to 20 minutes. Hope this helps. Enjoy your Za.

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Eggeneer,[p]Use a stone. My plate setter is nasty over the years I have cooked with it. A pizza stone is specific for pizza and wont get mucked up with smoke, grease and ash from other cooks.[p]
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Eggeneer,
    Stone mandatory.

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Eggeneer,
    well i never used a stone and works for me!!
    pizza.jpg
    pizza3.jpg
    how was that for a pizza party 7 pies and -38 with wind chill.but all went well. direct on the platesetter 410 dome for about 10 to 12 minutes a pie. i make mine thin crust!!
    mike