Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question on amount of charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read some folks say fill the egg up to the bottom of the fire ring and some to the top. Is there a correct way?
Thanks,
Tim

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    TimNga,[p]Top of the fire BOX, which is the bottom of the fire RING.[p]
  • Fire in the Hole
    Options
    TimNga,[p]I fill mine up to the top of the fire RING. I've had the lump side of my legs-up platesetter sitting right on top of the lump. Never had a problem. Never ran out of lump during a low 'n slow, either. When cooking high-temp steaks I have had the grid sitting right on top of the lump. I would be more afraid of not having enough lump than having too much. You aren't going to hurt anything. Find the level that works for you and go cook something!

• TimNga,[p]just like what everyone else says, just fill it up to the top of the fire ring. wheneve you're finished, just shut down the egg and save the remaining lump (and there'll be plenty!) for next time.[p]even if you use only a modest amount, like i did the other night b/c i just wanted to do a quick sear of pork chops and cut zucchini spears, the lump still looked like a lava pit. the egg is amazing. i would never be able to get that much heat from my old weber, unless i had a full load of coal. but with the BGE, even this small amount of lump (maybe about 2 coffee cans worth) got up to 600+ degrees and was glowing red hot. [p]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    KaiserSoze,[p] You really don't need to fill it to the top of the fire ring. Top of the Firebox on a large will give you 20+ hours of cooking lo 'n' slow if you build it right.[p]
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Heck, I got 24 hrs out of a fill to the top of the FIRE BOX using the Guru. I followed the Whiz's instructions on building the fire. I guess I did it correctly.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    TimNga,[p]It depends a little on what you are cooking, how long, and what variety of lump. I haven't done an all-nighter yet, so I've never needed to go much past the top of the fire box. Royal Oak lump, for example, will easily last 12+ hours with that quantity, while Cowboy might not last that long.[p]Second or third use lump burns faster. In my experience, a full fire box of second use lump tops out at about 8 hours.[p]You can use substantially less if you want a cooler grill temperature for smaller pieces of food.[p]gdenby