Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lots of extracted juice after Rub

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a newbie so excuse my ignorance. I made a rub for my Ribs using a combination of many rubs I thought looked good(basically couldn't choose). I slathered the ribs with yellow mustard and covered with rub. When I fired up my smoker and got out my ribs they were sitting in a pool of juices. Is this OK or did I use to much of something in my rub? I used a 8:3:1:1 ratio (per Good Eats) of brown sugar:Kosher salt:Adobe chili powder:"The kitchen sink".[p]They are cooking now and smell great(haven't looked yet and won't for another 2 hours).[p]I also went with a modified version of JJ's Q sauce, added a 1/4 molasses and 4 chipotle chiles. I like mine sweet and my wife and I both liked the vinegar(hey, we're from NC and there's really only one kind of BBQ). Just kidding, don't what to start any of those debates![p]I am using a water smoker due to the fact that I still haven't managed to where down the wife yet. Been workin at her for a few months and I think I've got her on the ropes. One more guilt trip and I think I'm in the club.[p]Thanks for any feedback![p]Mark[p]Mark@food4dogs.com

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Mark,[p]I think you're good with the juices. The salt in your rub is the culprit for drawing them out. I watched MikeO's pulled pork demo at E2K+1 and he wraps the heck out of his butts/shoulders in clear wrap after rubbing them down to prevent juice leakage into the fridge.[p]And speaking of shoulders, just bought a 9 pounder. Gonna prep that baby in a few for an overnight cook.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Mark,
    The salt will pull the juices out of the meat. I like to keep the amount of salt to a bare minimum. Wont hurt anythng though. Keep up the guilt trip routine. hehe I went to the EGG as I was burning out a weber kettle grill a year.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mark, both Cornfed and JJ said what I wanted to say, now I got nuttin to say, but welcome to the forum.
    C~W[p]