Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I wanna do something good and fairly easy

Beer-n-Eggs
Beer-n-Eggs Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, Tuesday, my wife of 37 years old has her fourth treatment of chemo for breast cancer and I wanna do a simple yet delicious dinner for her this weekend. One night I'm doing pizza using a double platesetter setup, one inverted, one not (so I can do a big pie). But, the other night I wanna do something to knock her socks off that won't make me spend all night preparing or cooking.[p]She likes steak, fish, shrimp, basically whatever. I also like to do veggie packs with sliced veggies marinated in olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, garlic and some dizzy dust so that'll def be a side item. I need great recipes for a main course.[p]Any ideas? [p]Thanks!
Buster in GA

Comments

• great ideas on how to do twice baked taters might be good as well.[p]Thanks!
    Buster

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Beer-n-Eggs, first off, my prayers go out to your wife. My mother went through a masectomy some 15 years ago and at age 89 is now a cancer "thriver". This recipe may look complicated but most of it can be done before hand and it cooks quickly on the EGG. As anyone who tated this at the 2005 EGGtoberfest can attest, this is good:[p]Pork Tenderloin from the Islands

Ingredients
    2 Pork Tender Loin
    1 cup coconut milk
    3 Tbs jamaican jerk seasoning
    2 Tbs olive oil
    1/2 cup toasted and finely chopped coconut flakes
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1/3 cup crushed pineapple
    1/3 cup shredded coconut
    1/3 cup cream of coconut
    rum
    apple wood for smoking

Procedure
    1 Rinse and pat dry pork loins.
    2 Inject each with the coconut milk - get as much as possible into the loin.
    3 Wrap tightly with plastic warp and refrigerate overnight.
    4 Approximately 6 hr before cooking - rub olive oil and jamaican over loin and re-wrap and continue to marinate until grilling time.
    5 Cook at 350 using raised grid and plate sitter - cook/smoke until internal temperature reaches 145.
    6 - smoke with apple wood
    7 Toast and finely chop 1 cup of coconut flakes -
    8 Sauce: Add 1/3 each of the following: coconut flakes, crushed drained pineapple, sour cream, cream of coconut
    9 let cooked loin rest for approximately 25 minutes - then slice into 3/8 inch slices - keeping the shape of the loin then cut sliced loin lengthwise, creating half moon pieces of the loin - sprinkle the finely chopped toasted coconuts flakes, this should be a light dusting
    10 Serve with the dipping sauce
    Cooking tips
    1 **smoke with apple wood - or a light wood of choice;
    2 **chop toasted coconut flakes into almost a dust;
    3 **slice carefully, trying to keep shape of loin;
    4 **dipping sauce - work with ingredients until a sauce consistency is achieved - drain pineapple well;
    5 **add light rum to taste;

Recipe Source
    Source: Mr Toad (Rodney Deal)

[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01533aBb.jpg
    <p />Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Planks have been treating me right lately. I like the veggies in the pouches and I also do potatoes that way.
    DSC01693a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Wise One,[p]That sounds pretty darned good as we like pork.[p]Incidently, my wife, as a precautionary measure (due to an extreme family history) with a surviving mother that had breast cancer at 55 and a non-surviving aunt that died at 44 from it, is also going to have a double mastectomy as soon as she can. This disease is a true bastard (sorry for the language but that's what it is. We'll be glad to have it over with. I shaved my head as soon as she was diagnosed so she wouldn't go through it bald alone. Now my friends call me cue-ball. Go figure![p]Thanks for the idea. I'll add it to the suggestions cuz it sounds great!
    Buster

• thirdeye,[p]Where's a good place to get a nice-sized piece of wood like that. I generally do a lot of salmon when I do salmon.[p]I guess I could use a couple of pieces the size of yours if I have to so where do I buy?[p]Thanks!
    Buster

• thirdeye,[p]Are those scallops as well? Looks GREAT![p]Good ideas on the taters in pouches. Haven't tried that yet but I will![p]Thanks!
    Buster

• thirdeye
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]The best deal I have found is the outdoor cooking section of sporting goods stores. They are just called grilling planks. Cedar is the most common, I like alder and sometimes I see hickory. A three-pack is $6 and they can be used 3 or 4 times if you don't catch them on fire.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Yep, scallops and shrimp both work well on the planks. Here is the link to my very short how-to on Cowboy Potatoes.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Errrr, here is the link.
    [ul][li]Taters[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    flanksteak.jpg
    <p />Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Mad Max's flank steak recipe is a good one. To save time you can use peppers from a jar. [p]I hope that everything goes well with your wife. [p]Chuck [p]
    Rolled Flank Steak
    Ingredients
    1 good sized flank steak, butterflied and marinated in
    olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs de provence. .
    3 yellow/orange peppers - roasted and peeled (if you
    have never done this, see below)
    1/3 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
    basil
    parmesan cheese (canned shaker variety)
    Procedure
    Lay out the marinated butterflied flank steak, cover evenly with a layer of the prosciutto. .
    .spread the roasted peppers along one long edge (they should cover about 1/4 - 1/3 of the
    steak. .
    Sprinkle liberally with the basil and parmesan cheese. . .roll
    tightly in a log (you may need to use some tooth picks to hold them, i don't). ...
    Lay them in a pan (i used a big ceramic dish which worked
    quite well in the egg). ..drizzle some of the left over marinade on them. . .
    Cook for about 45 minutes at 375 - 400 dome temp for medium. ..
    Slice them into thin rolls. .makes a nice presentation. .. the
    recipe originally calls for them to be served at room temps, we like them warmer. . .your
    choice.
    NOTES about butterflied flank steak and roasted peppers
    you can ask your butcher to butterfly the flank steak or you can do it yourself. .. lay the
    flank steak flat, using a long knife to slice the steak into two thin halves by keeping the
    knife parallel to the cutting board (depending on your pan/dish, you can leave it in one
    big flat piece or slice completely through it and have two pieces (two are easier to work
    with into two small rolls). .. it is also easier to slice through if you put the steak flat in the
    freezer for about a half an hour so that it is a little 'stiff'. . .
    if you haven't peeled peppers before, you cut them into flat slices, put them skin side up
    in the broiler until they are black and burning on top. . .then pull them off and
    immediately put them into a large zip-lock baggie for at least 15 minutes. .. pull them out
    and the skins will peal right off leaving you with lovely soft pepper pieces. ..
    Serves 1
    Recipe Source
    Author: Posted by mad max beyond eggdome on May 02, 2003 at 07:31:25:

• Gene613
    Gene613 Posts: 53
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    We did a stuffed pork tenderloin the other day and it turned out AWESOME (as normal forgot to take pics). We found it on here one day. It consisted of a pork tenderloin, parm, spinach and pepper bruschetta. It was very simple. Cut open the tenderloin put a layer of parm, spinach, pepper close it up and tie with butchers twine and rub down with your favorite rub. Have the egg steady at 350 (i used v-rack with drip pan) put it on the egg and forget about it until it gets done (about 1-1.5 hours for approx 2 lbs). I pulled mine at about 160. Served it with some roasted potatoes (EVOO and Cavanders Greek seasoning). I was a hit with the hubby and kids!!!

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    TriTipCook3-1.jpg
    <p />Beer-n-Eggs,
    Grill her a tri tip and do thirdeye potatos. Good luck, Tom

• thirdeye,[p]Well slap my butt. Never woulda thought they would be so easy to find. I go in search today.[p]Thanks!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    you could always buy cedar shims. they are cheap, untreated cedar shingles. i got a paper grocery bag full of them at home depot for maybe $3.[p]just score and snap off the thin end. they are 18" long.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beer-n-Eggs,
    Dont really have anything to add recipe wise as most have given tried and true meals. So I will just add a cyber hug to you and your wife from my family. My wifes mom, aunt, and grandmother all had it to the end, and it is much worse than the word you described(Ill keep it PG13 and not call it what it is). Keep your heads up, keep the egg pumping out good food for her, and keep the faith that the Good One has a plan for everything. You all are in our prayers.