Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Duck in the Snow

Options
FossilPeddler
FossilPeddler Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We've had a bit of snow in Minnesota lately...
SnowCoveredDeck.jpg[p]But I had some long grain brown rice that I thought would be good with Duck. I was going to cook it in the oven inside, because the Egg was in about 30" of snow on the deck...
EgginSnow.jpg[p]So, I got the duck ready. Decided to spatchcock it. A little thyme, rosemary, garlic, orange juice, and champagne vinegar rubbed on. Pricked the skin to allow the fat to render.
SpatchcockedDuck.jpg[p]I just didn't feel right cooking it inside. So I got out the shovel, and...
PathtoEgg.jpg[p]I looked on the forum and found some slow cooked recipes. Put it on a raised grid as high up in the dome as possible, direct at about 240 degrees. Here it is cookin' away...
EggingDuck.jpg[p]After about 4 hours, here is how the duck looked:
EggedDuck.jpg[p]I put it in the convection oven at 450 degrees for a quick skin crisping, maybe 5 minutes.[p]On the plate with the brown rice, mashed potatoes and duck gravy, with a homemade baguette. In the rice I put sauteed shitaake mushrooms, plus the liver and heart which were sauteed in rendered duck fat. I roasted the back, wing tips, neck and gizzard in the oven and made a rich brown duck stock, then made a roux with duck fat and flour to thicken it into gravy. Wife made the salad. Hade a Whitehall Lane Cabernet. 14 year old son said it was "better than steak", which is a nice compliment in my book.
TastyDuck.jpg[p]Could not have done it without this forum, thank you all!

Comments

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    FossilPeddler,[p]All I can say is WOW!!![p]WOW!!! to the snow...[p]WOW!!! to the size of your deck!!!! (looks good to play hockey on!!!)[p]and WOW!!! to your meal.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    FossilPeddler,
    That duck looks great, did it render out most of the fat going low and slow? What temp did you take it to? I haven't had good results with duck, but never tried low and slow. -RP

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    FossilPeddler,
    looks great, duck is one of my favorite cooks, dont do it often enough

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Yes, most of the fat rendered out. It would have been interesting to weigh it before and after. I took it to about 195, I think next time I would go to 200 and then foil it for a while, it could have been a bit juicier, although the gravy made that a non-factor.
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    FossilPeddler,
    Those are beautiful pictures, I admire some one who is into hie hobby so much so as to ignore the weather. You have an outstanding son to, his compliment should never be forgotten. I remember once when I was about 10 ( 78 now) we had duck and I didn't like it. The rest of the family told my mother how good it was and being a smart mouth I told her she should bury it in the garden. My mother cried, my dad beat my butt and to this day whenever I see duck , I apoligize to my mother.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    FossilPeddler,
    That's a great roasted duck, your meal is beautiful. Nice winter dinner. Your bread got my attention, looks like sourdough.
    Clay

• FossilPeddler
    Options
    bill g.,[p]That's hilarious!
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]It is a recipe from the book "Amy's Bread", she has bakeries in NYC. It is "Amy's Crusty Italian Loaf", which uses a sponge then a long overnight rise in the refrigerator. It uses small amounts of yeast for a slow, flavor developing rise. This time I skipped the yeast and used old dough as a starter, both in the sponge, then the bread itself. Best flavor ever. I'm not a huge fan of real sour, tangy bread, this was just good and flavorful.[p]I'm impressed that you noticed.