Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stress?? What Stress

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So last night I toasted the new eggs gasket. Of course the dealer does not carry new ones because "only have had two customers in 5 years that have needed a gasket" So after searching the forum archive, I saw that Home Depot might carry a 3/16 by 5/8 felt gasket. Hah, that would be too easy, they didn't. Home Hardware had one felt gasket left, 3/16 x 1/2 inch. You guessed it I Goof Offed and scraped the old glue, and Elmer glued the too small gasket on. It is 0 Celsius, so I have the egg on slow burn at 300, since 11 oclock this morning. At 3:30 I have the whole family coming, have 12 rib eyes to cook. Going to go for it, Think I will let the egg get up to 575 max, and do an extended sear both sides. Hope the mini gasket survives this one cook. Then I can strip it and do it right when I get the proper stuff. Wish me luck!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    City Slicker,[p]Yes, good luck! Check to see if the Elmers has actually held on before running up to searing temp. It would be a drag to open the dome, and have the temporary gasket fall onto the grill. You can cook without a gasket, but you are likely to have a lot of gas escaping where the gasket should be, and so have some temp. control problems.[p]Why do problems always happen when there's no time for correction? Arrr...[p]gdenby
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    City Slicker,
    where are you from ? i have some gaskets here in stock. so if you are interested let me know . we can work something out i'm sure.
    mike

• City Slicker
    Options
    gdenby,
    Seems ok so far, 3.5 hours at 300 degrees. Is there a safer way to do the steaks ? And thanks Mike, I can get a gasket later I am sure, it was just the panic of the big presentation of my new egg, to my very competitive brothers and brother in law lol. I want them to drool so much they all run out to buy eggs too, not shake their heads in laughter.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    City Slicker,
    I don't think Elmer's is the correct adhesive to use in this application.
    But as far as replacing your gasket-Just call the Mothership!
    They'll set you up with the real thing. In the meantime, just cook without the gaskets.[p] I cooked for a few weeks without the gasket and it was fine. Especially if you're cooking steaks I don't think it'll matter. There's folks on this board that have gone a long time with no gaskets, so it definitely can be done (as I said, I did it).

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    City Slicker,
    been there once before was doing a good steak sear and when i openned the dome in front of a croud of people mostly friends the dam gasket just fell off !! how ambarrassing.... but hell the steaks were still the best they had ever had in there life!!
    mike