Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BUTT HELP

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
AFTER LOOKING THROUGH THE BOSTON BUTT FILES I WOULD LIKE TO TRY MY HAND AT A 3.75 POUNDER. WOULD LIKE TO START OUT SIMPLE WITH THE BEST CHANCE AT SUCCESS, ARE ANY OF THESE RECIPES FAIL SAFE.
DAVID

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    DAVID, sounds like you have a short timer there..roughly 8 hours of cooking time..Most all of the recipes are fail safe and basically you need to hit the 220 to 260 range in temperature..use a drip pan, a roast rack..season to your taste..Salt and pepper if you want for a first run, and let it coast along till it reads 190 to 200 on the internal temperature. Stay away from bone when checking.
    Wrap in foil if you like..let it rest 20 minutes or shredd it right away..depends on the tenderness. Hardly a failure in the ranks..You can get fancy or do em plain. Side dishes, slaw and buns to your taste. Great eats...
    Cherrio. C~W[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    DAVID,
    They all are. 210-250* for about 12-14 hrs and you will have a winner. If you have an internal thermometer (polder) 195-200* internal temp and let rest for about 15 min or so. That is the easiest thing to make on the EGG.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    DAVID,[p]I echo what my pals said. Another failsafe factor: temp spikes or dips aren't a cause for alarm, since they even out over a long cook. Average temp is what matters.[p]In my experience the internal temp of a "done" pork butt can vary from about 185 to 200 degrees - when you can stick a fork in it and twist it easily, it's pullable. [p]Cathy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DAVID,
    You scooped some serious advice from 3 pros!
    It's easy to agree with all of them. Don't worry too much about temps, as long as you keep under 250 dome temp. At least until you get past the plateau of 160-170, where it will hang out for a while in that range, while the chewy stuff breaks down and turns to succulent juices.[p]Once you get past 170 internal, you can up the egg temps a bit, say 275-300. It'll speed it along, and help the crust a bit. If you aren't in a rush, let'r rip at about 250 for the finish.[p]My guess, which is about all you can do, is about 11 or 12 hours.[p]As far as rubs, pork butts are fun to experiment. JJs rub is a classic on pulled pork and briskets (among other things). People have done them naked with good results (I know BluesnBBQ did a naked butt that he said was excellent. I did a butt marinated in jerk sauce, and another from Smoke and Spices Red Eye Butt recipe, with coffee, molasses and bourbon. They are all excellent, including Elders.[p]Good luck with it. Let us know how you it goes. And when you get a chance, knock that caps-lock key off on your keyboard. The posts are a lot easier to read in lower case.[p]Cheers..NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    DAVID, if you follow the advice of the previous three respondants you won't go wrong - if you don't have a polder type thermometer - run to the store and get one - at 200 degrees internal, you will have a true treasure - true Southern style bbq pork! Good luck!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    My apology (again) - I meant the previous 4 posters. Have a good evening![p]
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    DAVID,
    I have had nothing "butt" success using the posted methods. Low and slow is the key.