Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what's your favorite steak

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tenderloinscastirongrid0001.jpg
<p />I seared these tenderloins last night: very tender but bland on flavor. I've concluded ribeyes are my favorite with strips a close second. What is your favorite steak? [p]I'm asking because while steaks are still on the menu, they are becoming a special cook item, dang cholesterol! Just want to make sure, I'm not missing something. Thanks Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    tjv,[p]KC Strip...NY strip...anything with a good marble..[p]
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    tjv,
    I love grilled beef, so my favorite steak is the one I happen to be eating at the moment. [p]That said, I almost always go for the strip steak, but the rib-eye is very close.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    tjv,[p]For now, tri-tip cut into steaks about three fingers wide are high on the list for flavor and value. I'm still doing the hot tub thing on them too.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS nice job on that basket, that was a lot of rolling. Was it all 1/4" and what was the spacing between the rings?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    tjv,
    tenderloin is tender, but doesn't have much fat, and so doesn't have much flavor.[p]rib-eyes have a lot of flavor, and are pretty tender when done correctly. lotta fat, lotta flavor.[p]strips are a a nice average of the two, to be overly general. if i am buying a choice steak, raw and unaged, it's usually a strip. for me, a choice rib-eye can be too wet with fat, and can fall apart.[p]if i am buying dry-aged, it's almost ALWAYS a rib eye. the fat has dried out and condensed so that it remains firm (but tender) and doesn't flop apart. i also think it gains most from aging.[p]porterhouse and t-bones are great for show, but i'd rather cook the strip and/or tenderloin by itself. [p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    TriTipCook3-1.jpg
    <p />tjv,
    I like a grilled Tri-Tip cooked to medium rare. I season with DP's Raising the Steaks rub. Good luck, Tom

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ribeye.jpg
    <p />tjv,
    I have got to agree, ribeyes have become my favorite. But when in the area. I have to get a filet from McGonigles.
    I usually wrap in proscuitto.
    steak1.jpg[p]Mike

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    tjv,
    no question, the homely hanger steak ... biggest, beefiest flavor around!![p]DSCN1600.jpg

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    tjv,
    ribeyse, strips steaks, skirt steaks, flank, tenerlion is last.

• tjv,
    Yeah...tenderloins for tenderness and always with a sauce (Bearnaise is my favorite) and rib eyes for flavor with nothing but some fresh ground salt and pepper.

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What is Hanger steak? this looks like skirt steak.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    tjv,[p]I thinnn, (as Ricky Riccardo used to say)... I'm with you.[p]Ribeyes first...[p]Sear2.jpg[p]Strips second, (but only if they're good ones)[p]RibeyeBalsamico.jpg[p]But...
    Max has got me hooked on Hanger Steaks...so they are, (on any given Sunday)...a possible winner!![p]HangerSteak5.jpg

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Buddy
    Buddy Posts: 20
    Options
    MINE WOULD BE THE ONE AT THE 7:30 POSITION

New York Strip T rex
    1.5" thick
    johnny d
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    HungryMan,
    different 'muscle' .. .hanger steak is the muscle that connects the diaphram to the rib cage. .. texture is a little softer than skirt or flank steak, though you still have cut across the grain for the most tender slice possible. ..its got a wonderful 'beefy' flavor .. also called a 'butcher' steak, cause the butcher's used to keep them for themselves cause they knew how good it was. ..very popular in french bistros where its called an "onglet" steak ...likes marinade and a fast hot sear. . ..

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    tjv,
    Ribeyes! -RP

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    medrare.JPG
    <p />tjv,[p]For me, ribeyes and strips always run neck and neck. We'll call it a draw.[p]Wanting a steak now,[p]TRex
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    tjv,[p]The last one I cooked is always my favorite. I like ribeyes, strips and sirloins, pretty much in that order. Actually anything that's not too tough is fine with me.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • TRex
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Next time we're together (perhaps Waldorf???) I need you to give me a lesson in slicing these things. I always seem to screw it up. I know you told me something about separating one muscle from the other but somewhere in the process it always goes awry for me.[p]Love meat, but never claimed to be a butcher,[p]TRex
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    tjv,[p]I love a good fillet for the tenderness, but I bring my own flavor to the party. I'll marinade them overnight in this stuff:[p]2 cups cider vinegar
    1/2 cup good cab. s.
    1/2 cup grocery store grade balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup EVOO
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp black pepper corns
    2 cloves garlic[p]Whir it all up in a blender and soak the fillets for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best. Grill 'em TRex or regular to your desired doneness. Mighty tasty![p]For a steak that stands on its own merit, I'll choose a NY strip. I massage them with EVOO and grind on a little salt and pepper. Off to the TRex machine they go. They really don't need any special treatment or flavoring. y the way, though it has a little firmer bite, a good sirloin can stand on its own flavorwise, too.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    if you're coming to waldorf pal, i'll make sure to have plenty of hangers to practice on. . .and actually, i've been thinking i'm gonna keep it simple this year and i'm planning on bringing half a dozen of them, doing up with different seasonings/marinades. . .you and me, we'll have a little 'slicing session' :)

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Got vinegar on the brain today. That should be 2 cups cider, not cider vinegar.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] I'll have the Tri-Tip :)[p]
  • Chubby
    Options
    TRex,[p]That pic always gets me!!![p]Thanks.......[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    thats why they invented cows with so many different parts :-)[p]everyone gets to pick their favorite parts

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] If I win the lottery between now and then I'll bring my favorite parts... Till then ya'll need to settle for Tri-Tip..[p]

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    tjv,
    Dry aged ribeys!

• TRex
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Awesome. I'm looking forward to it (and crossing my fingers that I'll be able to make Waldorf).[p]Jason
  • TRex
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Me too. I get sorta choked up, actually - reminds me of the good ole days when I was buying prime strips and ribeyes at HEB for $9.99 a pound. Alas . . . [p]TRex
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks for the answer. I will probably have to go to a butcher. I never have seen one at publix or anywhere around
    tampa.

• Chubby
    Options
    TRex,[p]Ok...let me feed the Beast!![p]Here's an oldie...but goodie!![p]P21201162.jpg[p]I can ship...you know!![p]Evans
  • TRex
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Ah, how I do miss the prime beef at HEB. I can go to Whole Foods here but $$$$![p]Time to buy a scratch-off,[p]TRex