Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Dilema

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please help! I am about to purhase my first EGG, want to make the right decision...Is "bigger" better???Should I go with the L or the XL??? Thanks for your input! [p]

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Anxious,[p]You almost double your cooking area going from a large to an extra large. That said, the large has done well for my family of 3-5 plus guests for several years.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Anxious,
    I have both and while I do love my XL, I would say go with the large. The XL has a lot more cookspace so if you are constantly enternaing large crowds it could prove to be a better choice, but there is next to nothing that you can`t do on a large. Either way you choose you will be happy with the food cooked on an egg.[p]Wess

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Anxious,[p] I have XLs because I use them to cater. Do you really need the ability to cook 60-80 pounds of pork in one sitting.[p] Keep in mind the large is 140 pounds, without the nest, plate setter and pizza stone. The XL is 200 pounds.[p] Get the large and later by a small if you need more space or a smaller cook.
  • TheStormyDOg
    Options
    Anxious,
    I have a Large and XL for the whole entertaining idea, but like everyone says the large will do...more often I am cooking on just the large

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Anxious,
    The large will be easier to move and clean. The XL is coming out with half plate setters to allow both direct and indirect cooking.
    I think you still have a dilema.

• BBQEd
    BBQEd Posts: 63
    Options
    I thought a large would be good enough for me but am finding that I've quickly outgrown it, at least when it comes to ribs. In hind sight I would have purchased an XL or an Oval, probably an oval.
  • Anxious, Dome is shorter on an XL. Problems with beer can chicken. I can put at least 2 beer can chickens on large and think I can put 3, though haven't tried it. Ern

• NCEgger
    Options
    Anxious,[p]I started with a large and recently got a medium. Both were gifts, I was very lucky. I like the large and I am glad I have it. I do most of my low and slows on it and use the medium more for the day to day work.[p]